Journey To Summer Wine Land During Filming?

Cap n Mac

Okay, so here's a pretty simple question: did any of you actually have the fortune of going on the set of Last of the Summer Wine? Like, what episode(s) were they filming? Did you get to meet any of the cast and crew? C'mon, dish (please)!

I remember back in the day (2006-2007) thinking it would have been nice to go off to Yorkshire and see them film; I was especially interested in meeting Peter Sallis. Alas, most unfortunately, either is a possibility now (well, excluding the option of visiting Yorkshire).

I watched them filming the scene where Mr Lucy falls of the bridge when Compo calls to him.
The bridge was especially made because according to the designer of lotsw Stephan Paczai (who I spoke to) they could not find one suitable in the area (can you believe that) The bridge did feature in a few more episodes. I also spoke to a Security guard asking why he needed to guard the bridge he said people will nick anything to do with the show.

For the last 8 years of filming I lived pretty close to Holmfirth and I made it my ambition to get over as often as I could when I knew they were filming,sadly Bill Owen had passed just before I started to go, but I did get to see many of those wonderful actors in the later years, and in the last few years I was accepted by the crew as a non nuisance fan and left alone to watch on set, during breaks in filming I would grab a chance to chat with the cast and soon spotted the signs when they wanted to be left alone.

It was a time in my life I will never forget and glad I made the effort, I also met up with other fans who had travelled a long distance to watch the filming, many I still keep in touch with and occasionally we still meet up in Holmfirth and reminisce and track locations down, last year I had the chance to meet a fan from Australia (You know who I mean Brian) plus his son and we had a great day visiting places, in the past I have met up with fans from the USA and they love the show but are not to happy to drive over here, Happy Days

Back