Ist or 2nd Foggy Era

Amos Hames 2

Dedicated Member
Which was your favourite Foggy Era. I think his comeback episode. The Return of the Warrior ranks up as one of the best in the Entire run.

For me, the first era was the best, although his return in Return of the Warrior, and the whole of Series 12 (1990) was outstanding too.

I think 2nd era too, to me is rougher edges were smoothed. That said, I did find his war stories were a bit overdone second time around

I don't know, I kinda like his stories, it's a guy fondly recalling what was one of the highlights of his life and he's proud of that. It surely defines his character..

I don't know, I kinda like his stories, it's a guy fondly recalling what was one of the highlights of his life and he's proud of that. It surely defines his character..
I don't mind the stories and some are very funny, it's just towards the end of his 2nd era they seemed to be week in week out and fairly long scenes. Just personal opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me. Foggy was the perfect embodiment of a Walter Mitty character so I'm not even sure if he did see any action during the war....

Let's see now...

...first Foggy era had the awkwardness of a combined trio that somehow stuck together compared with a later grouping that felt natural and dare I say it comfortable together.

...first Foggy had Corporal Dewhirst feeling like a fish out of water and a need to distinctly improve the lives of those around him whereas later one indulged barmpots more and was more inclined towards money making schemes.

...first Foggy was thrust into civilian life and found it hard to adapt back to Yorkshire 'ways' and later one was a much disrespected member of the community.

...both Foggys were tightwads and had more moths in their wallets than a casual Lepidopterist.

...both Foggys were wary of the charms of women but the later was snared by one ultimately.

The second era Foggy just about nudges it for me but in both cases was brilliantly written by Roy Clarke and portrayed by the late Brian Wilde!

I would say I prefer first era Foggy, but not by much. Along with some weaker episodes in the 2nd run, the show by then was suffering from having to write around the age of the actors and the limits of what they could pull off with limited stunt double use. One thing I do like about the 2nd era is that Foggy does, at times, seem to appreciate having his companions around. In that sense the trio feel like a more comfortable group together.

First, second time round was a bit repetitive but there are some good episodes. Destiny and Six Bananas was brilliant.
The 2nd era had more characters than the 1st era. To give each performer air time, the episode have a set repeated punchline formula. . There's little to no time to progress characters, making the 2nd era plot based, while the first era was character based.

It's the second era for me.

My favorite Foggy was the First of the summerwine Foggy. I was about his age when the Vietnam war was getting underway (a generation later). I felt the series portrayed the pre-war level of angst very well that young Foggy and his peers were experiencing back then, which was much the same as that experienced by myself and my peers a generation later. Although I don't remember anyone from my day walking around in uniform and drilling in preparation for what was to come, but the young Foggy character's military fantasy was plausible and projected no sense of superiority to his peers because of it. BTW, I thought young Foggy's Mother was just aces!!! She would have made the perfect Cub Scout Den Mother!

I loved the early series with Blamire, it was the perfect portrayal of the three man comedy model with the authority figure, the class clown and the straight man in the middle. Then Blamire disappeared and was replaced with a delusional falsetto commando who droned on with such things as: The natives, they were just little people you know, they used to call me "Heeeeeee who tiptoes through the tulips" and subjected innocent and disinterested bystanders to lengthy diatribes about being a trained killer, machine gun emplacements being the foundation of democracy, while swinging karate chops through the air and discussing eating wiggly grubbs while seated in Ivy's Cafe. I think it was overdone. As I recall, the only reality Foggy encountered in the entire show was in his introductory episode, when he opened his mouth in a sporting pub and got to meet Compo's Cousin, little BIG Malcom, who having been put in the unfortunate situation of having to deal with Foggy, did so in what I felt was a gracious and gentlemanly manner.

Its true, Hobbo's script regurgitated some Foggyisms, but it was not overdone. Russ Abbot entered the show when he must have known the end was approaching. It is no fun being put in the game in the bottom of the ninth and the team is losing, but in spite of that I felt Russ Abbot acted his heart out. Kudos to Russ!

Oh Shut up Seymour and eat your choc ice.

The 2nd era had more characters than the 1st era. To give each performer air time, the episode have a set repeated punchline formula. . There's little to no time to progress characters, making the 2nd era plot based, while the first era was character based.

It's the second era for me.
Very well put, and welcome to the forum! I love your name btw I can just hear it coming from the lips of PC Cooper :D :D :D

Back