Is that a Roy Clarke cameo in Mending Stuart's Leg?

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
Ive been wondering this for some time. Early in the episode Sid is outside the cafe and Ivy is throwing plates out the door at him. As Sid is sweeping them up a man comes by pushing a bike and greets him. Even though it's a speaking part no credit is listed for it and I've always thought the man looks like Clarke. Anybody know if that is the case?

No I don't think it is Roy Clarke. I've seen that actor in other programs but I can't remember which ones.

If you were an extra and you spoke less than 5 words, do they pay you by the word? What about those scenes with crowds? Does everyone get paid something or do they just order lots of pizza and call it done? And not on LOTSW, but on shows where someone appears briefly and then gets murdered -- do they get paid the same as someone who appeared in the entire episode?

When in the 6th form at school my fellow pupils and I earned £10 a day plus as much grub we could eat from the lunch trucks to act as extras for Roman Polanski's "Scottish play" [ we part time sorry once in a lifetime thespians would never use the proper name of Shakespeare's tome :08: ] which was being shot at Alnwick and the surrounding moors . Whilst the money and food was nice the weather was far from it , describing it in a positive manner then "Bleak" would not be far off the mark.

I recall reading in one of the Summer Wine Appreciation Society journals that Roy Clarke rarely even visited the set especially in the early days. There are a couple of photographs that show him on set but these were taken later on. Thus very unlikely that he appeared in his own creation.

Also recall reading somewhere that he wrote the script then left it to the producer to turn it into the final episode as screened which might have entailed some tweaks whch were sorted out during the filming.

On the subject of SWAS journals, if you ever get a chance to see these they contain a lot of material collected during the 1990s at the time when the show was still being aired. Not sure how you would get them but they may turn up.

Back