Interesting, just posted on YouTube

That was real nice, Barry. Thanks for sharing. Think that is the most I have seen of the church and it's inside, very pretty. Nice to learn some history of it as well. Great drone footage of the area at the end.

I have a couple of ignorant questions.
- Noticed that both of the gravestones have 'actor' on them. Is it customary to put one's occupation on their headstone?
- On Mr. Owen's marker next to the dedicated by his wife part there is written "n.m.n". What do the letters represent?

Thanks

Thank you so much for posting that! It was a very nicely and respectfully done video. I had not seen the little metal sign on Peter's grave before. Is that the sort of thing that comes pre-made and you have the name put on? The poem is by Alex MacLean.

Last edited:
That was real nice, Barry. Thanks for sharing. Think that is the most I have seen of the church and it's inside, very pretty. Nice to learn some history of it as well. Great drone footage of the area at the end.

- Noticed that both of the gravestones have 'actor' on them. Is it customary to put one's occupation on their headstone?
- On Mr. Owen's marker next to the dedicated by his wife part there is written "n.m.n". What do the letters represent?

Thanks
I would answer your questions if I knew the answers Rick... perhaps someone more learned than me could field that one!

Thanks
That is a most interesting question Rick regarding "n.m.n.". The apostrophes indicate a message but the three letters are all in lower case. Does this indicate that the message is "tongue in cheek"? Also, each letter is followed by a full stop. The only message my weary worn out mind can come up with is "no more Nora".
I will try and find out what it means.

I tried doing a little research on the "n.m.n" thing but all that comes up is the old practice of putting NMN on gravestones if the person had no middle name. As Bill Owen was a stage name, maybe that's involved, but its hard to say.

That channel does have some other interesting videos on it. He has a lot of grave site visit videos. I thought his recent entry on who Eleanor Rigby (from the Beatles song) was pretty interesting as well.

Thanks
I have read, I believe in Andrew Vine's or Alan Bell's book, that in this case "n.m.n" stands for "not my name". It's from one of the shows in the first Foggy series in which the trio was lounging in a graveyard. One of the other two asked Compo what he wanted on his gravestone. He replied, "Not my name."

I have read, I believe in Andrew Vine's or Alan Bell's book, that in this case "n.m.n" stands for "not my name". It's from one of the shows in the first Foggy series in which the trio was lounging in a graveyard. One of the other two asked Compo what he wanted on his gravestone. He replied, "Not my name."

It was at the end of Jubilee but what Compo actually said was "somebody else's name"

It was at the end of Jubilee but what Compo actually said was "somebody else's name"
I was close, but no cigar. I must have read in one of the books that I mentioned that he said "Not my name" in conversation with another actor about gravestone inscriptions.

Thanks. I do like the "Not my name" idea / sentiment. It seemed across from his wife's words so I could have wrongly assumed it was referenced to her.

I think it's along the lines of what Peri said, it should be something like, "Nora, my Nora!" However, I've asked my daughter's fiancé who edits law books and he said "not my name" as well, but that the quotation marks around the abbreviations make him think it's something else and he says he will look into it. If he comes up with anything I'll pass it on.

Back