If You Watch

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Towards the end of Isometrics and after, when they first cut to the cricket pitch the clock is 10.55 a few seconds later after a brief scene change it's 11.05, it gives a good indication of time involved, setting a different scene up using just one camera

I have courted opinion before and as you have attended some filming, given you are dealing with older actors and actresses albeit old hands at this acting game how much film time is taken up with retakes after one or more of the stars fluffed their lines or corpsed , the scene you describe could easily have taken far in excess of what the clock indicates

Similar to one I pointed out from a SEYMOUR episode. The trio were looking up at Howard cleaning windows and the clock behind Seymour jumps forward a fair bit.I think it was SET THE PEOPLE FREE . I do remember that Seymour had his face covered in emulsion by Pearl ! :confused2:

Does anyone know a famous star for only needing one take? He was known as 'One Take ******'. Who was it? :rolleyes:

It was a man...... Clue >>>
24_snowman_80x80.jpg

The absolutely wonderful Maureen O'Hara star of one of my favourite films ever The Quiet Man

Yes she was definitely not a man quite the opposite but that red hair hair probably implies she could get angry.Although you were looking for a male performer in this instance Peri , Ms O'Hara was known for her ability to always complete a scene in any of her films in one take

I have courted opinion before and as you have attended some filming, given you are dealing with older actors and actresses albeit old hands at this acting game how much film time is taken up with retakes after one or more of the stars fluffed their lines or corpsed , the scene you describe could easily have taken far in excess of what the clock indicates
Thinking of the traditional director's cry ... LIGHTS .... CAMERA..... ACTION. It sometimes takes a lot of time to set the lights or waiting for the right light in outdoor scenes, and then the cameras, etc. need to be set up especially in outdoor scenes. And if there are stunts, then you need time to set up the stunt, with stunt doubles, equipment, etc. (Rolling down a hill in a 55-gal. drum just doesn't happen.) And then there are weather-related delays, etc. And all of this takes time. And then yes, sometimes an actor may blow a line and/or corpse.

Yes she was definitely not a man quite the opposite but that red hair hair probably implies she could get angry.Although you were looking for a male performer in this instance Peri , Ms O'Hara was known for her ability to always complete a scene in any of her films in one take
My excitement department register shoots up every time every time you mention that most delightful Maureen Captain. She was a CRACKER .:eyesroll:
That famous actor Man Snowman! I'm doing what Roy Walker always told you to do - say what you see!
Snowman, think Christmas. The snowman is white. :29:

Speaking of Christmas, I just must say this in the best possible way, with great humor and sensitivity. All Mod Conned would go over here in the States like a Lead Balloon. Most would not get it. That is probably one of the reasons why the Christmas specials are NEVER shown on Public TV. But I get it and have enjoyed seeing it on U-Tube. My husband and I actually had sort of a mod conned experience. We wanted to go to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania to see the battlefields. So I looked up inns on the Internet and reserved a room in a -- well it turned out to be a bar (pub) and we had to squeeze our way through the Friday night hoopla to get the key for a room upstairs. And the town (not Gettysburg) was low lying and all the buildings had a high water mark meaning that it had been flooded out. And it occurred to me after we left that the bar never expected to rent out their rooms.

Gotta say I think you are wrong. As one from the States, here in Durham NC, we love
All Mod Conned and every other episode of Summer Wine. We own and watch them all
every night before bed. Shall do it again tonight as well. Wife and I have been watching
Summer Wine religiously for many many years. Glass of Scotch and a Summer Wine
and we are home!!

chuck

The man so well known for his 'one takes' was also a groan-er.;)
Bing Crosby? I didn't know he was well known for his 'one takes' but I read somewhere that he was not very popular with the film crews as he gave them a hard time.

Bing Crosby? I didn't know he was well known for his 'one takes' but I read somewhere that he was not very popular with the film crews as he gave them a hard time.
He's the man Roger. He was known as 'One take Crosby'. I was a big fan of his, he was so relaxed. My favorite film is High Society. I have seen that many times. When he died he had just finished a round of golf , a foursome in which he was partnered by Manuel Pinero. They had won the game by one shot and as they walked off the course Bing was walking behind the other three singing. Suddenly he collapsed and died. A perfect end really for him.

Regarding filming just reading a book about filming Inspector Morse and the locations they have used and in it they have an example of how long it takes to film a short sequence. In the example Morse and Lewis are acting a scene in The Remorseful Day episode where they discuss the case over a drink at a country pub.

It is set just as the sun is setting but the scene set up started at lunchtime the first take was undertaken mid afternoon. Over the following 90 mins lots of takes were done but only one was down to an actor fluffing their lines.

Examples of failed takes were man in distance walking his dog, unwanted bird flying past, vapour trails from planes,the level of beer in Morse's glass was inconsistent previous shot and wrong kind of sunlight was glinting off the glass.The shot was completed and the sun had travelled from overhead to the horizon, the scene in the broadcast was less than two minutes.

Back