Hello all

AJM

Hi everyone, I have already started posting on the forum but thought I would introduce myself here too.

I have been watching through the entire series and just finished watching series 31 yesterday. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the show. Currently going back through and rewatching some of my favourites. I first got into the show from seeing repeats on the TV. I'm also planning on watching First of the Summer Wine too.

Hello again, AJM. First of the Summer Wine is good to watch. I enjoy it and have the DVD's as well. At first it seemed a little odd seeing characters we know so well being played by other people, because of the time difference of them being younger. But the show really grew on me and I wish they would have created more seasons of it. There was a lot of potential in it.

Hello AJM welcome to the Forum , all Summer Wine is great , even if it was "Corked" sadly you have to simply change one letter to get a true description of the show "Corker" . I hope you enjoy your time on here look forward to your posts. :)

Welcome, AJM, from south central upstate New York. I, too, enjoy both First and Last of the Summer Wine, even though FOTSW has an undertone of impending war throughout, created by the month and year display at the start of each episode. We can't avoid knowing what's waiting in the near future for these relatively carefree young men.

I've read that the series was prohibitively expensive to produce because of the necessity of creating the period look. For example, the cobblestone streets were formed of rubber sheets that had to be rolled out prior to filming every location scene, with patches of horse manure added and packed into the crevices. The crew took pains to notify everyone they could think of who might be affected, but the first time they forgot to notify the milkman. When he arrived he thought he had driven through a time warp! Based on old photos I've seen on the Holmfirth History Facebook Group, the "aging" of the backgrounds in the Holmfirth location scenes was quite historically accurate.

The scenes outside Co-op were filmed in Netherthong, on Giles Street. I haven't yet seen any late 1930s photos of that area, but I expect the producers were just as conscientious about historical accuracy there as in Holmfirth.

Back