Gilligan’s Island - American intellectual comedy

Eli’sComing

Dedicated Member
F610F768-1B59-459C-A63A-05C384E5512E.jpeg

My favorite American comedy is gilligan’s island
Not quite up to typical British standards of wit, nonetheless a worthy and reliable source of deeply intellectual comedy.

Seven people set sail on what is scheduled to be a three-hour sightseeing tour on the charter boat The Minnow, get caught in a storm and end up stranded on an uncharted tropical island together. The comedy comes from the failed attempts at escaping the island

Gilligan's Island is ingrained in my childhood. I still regularly grab an episode of it and the revivals. There were 2 Filmation animated spin-offs. The New Adventures of Gilligan (1974) featured voices of the original cast except Tina Louise who never appeared in any Gilligan revivals and Dawn Wells who was on road with a play at the time so Jane Webb played both parts. Dawn Wells joined for the 2nd series Gilligan's Planet (1982) where she voiced both Mary Ann and Ginger.

There were also 3 TV movies, Rescue from Gilligan's Island (1978), The Castaways on Gilligan's Island (1979) and The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island (1981). Judith Baldwin played Ginger in the first 2 and Constance Forslund in the 3rd.

Last edited:
This series came with its own set of "make you wonder"s. Among them:
  • So many sets of clothes (usually the passengers) packed for a three-hour excursion?
  • Laundry (especially for Gilligan and Skipper)?
  • The volume of structures and apparatuses built from bamboo would have required several machetes with a means to sharpen frequently. I always keep both in the car in case I'm marooned so I guess a charter/hire boat would be understandable.
  • The number of guests who could have alerted the Coast Guard for rescue. I would be notifying the authorities of immediately during the first rescue movie to request charges of failure to render aid (I'm sure there would be a jurisdictional loopholes but still, very bad form).
I could go on but yes, suspension of disbelief goes a long way.

This series came with its own set of "make you wonder"s. Among them:
  • So many sets of clothes (usually the passengers) packed for a three-hour excursion?
  • Laundry (especially for Gilligan and Skipper)?
  • The volume of structures and apparatuses built from bamboo would have required several machetes with a means to sharpen frequently. I always keep both in the car in case I'm marooned so I guess a charter/hire boat would be understandable.
  • The number of guests who could have alerted the Coast Guard for rescue. I would be notifying the authorities of immediately during the first rescue movie to request charges of failure to render aid (I'm sure there would be a jurisdictional loopholes but still, very bad form).
I could go on but yes, suspension of disbelief goes a long way.
Half of the guests were bad people who would have been in trouble if anyone found out about their time with the castaways, the others were dingbats. :)

You can saw bamboo pretty well with a saw
But the clothes does present a paradox
Everyone but Gilligan and skipper seem to have brought far too much clothing for a short trip
What strikes me the most is how the hell the professor could have made all those scientific instruments out of bamboo and coconut
I mean, whoever heard of a coconut communication satellite??!

View attachment 5645

My favorite American comedy is gilligan’s island
Not quite up to typical British standards of wit, nonetheless a worthy and reliable source of deeply intellectual comedy.

Seven people set sail on what is scheduled to be a three-hour sightseeing tour on the charter boat The Minnow, get caught in a storm and end up stranded on an uncharted tropical island together. The comedy comes from the failed attempts at escaping the island
Is it just me or does the chap on the left look remarkably like Mr Humphries from AYBS? :p
:p :p

I thought the guy in the white hat looks like a young Melvin Hayes , Gloria from It Aint Alf Hot Mum.

melvin.jpg

I think this is a lot later shot I was going to post a shot from Summer Holiday but he dyed his hair blonde for that .

Last edited:
Well the second half of that movie, the bedroom farce fiasco, was rather stinky but the first half had a kinda cozy feel to it
In my opinion anyway
But they mentioned benidorm in many of the episodes as well
In grace and favor too
But it is a real place isn’t it?

Well the second half of that movie, the bedroom farce fiasco, was rather stinky but the first half had a kinda cozy feel to it
In my opinion anyway
But they mentioned benidorm in many of the episodes as well
In grace and favor too
But it is a real place isn’t it?
Yes it's a real place on the Costa Brava in Spain, it has the highest proportion of British Ex Pats than any other town in Spain. It was also the name of an ITV comedy which ran for 10 episodes based on the town. Some of those who appeared in LOTSW appeared in Cameo roles in it, Bobby Nutt, John Challis, Brian Muphy and I'm sure there are others. They're on Dailymotion I think, the earlier ones were quite funny but IMO it got really poor as the series went on. Very much like the 10 series of AYBS!

I thought the guy in the white hat looks like a young Melvin Hayes , Gloria from It Aint Alf Hot Mum.

View attachment 5693

I think this is a lot later shot I was going to post a shot from Summer Holiday but he dyed his hair blonde for that .
Bob Denver who starred as Gilligan. His other notable role which was prior to G.I. was as Maynard G. Krebs (TV's 1st "hipster/beatnik") in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.

Attachments

• B3-BH437_BUCKET_M_20180801183917.jpg
    B3-BH437_BUCKET_M_20180801183917.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1
This is my favorite Mrs. Howell moment. She gets to let her hair down (literally) and break character while doing a very good job at keeping up with the girls.

Thank you tommy
You have taught me something about an old tv favorite of mine
I went and watched an episode of that doby Gillis show you mentioned
YouTube has a few of them
It was really fun to see bob Denver in a different role from gilligan
He was a fairly good actor
A bit overactive but funny to watch
By the way that scene where mrs howell dances with the girls always made me look away
But thanks again for your input on this thread

Back