Getting Sam Home

Beth

Dedicated Member
I found this on utube and watched last night. Pearl-Susan mentioned that this was her favorite episode so I had to find it.

At first, I thought this was the most depressing episode I had seen because of the tragedy of Sam and his wife seemed more abusive than Nora would ever be, but after the first half hour I liked it; I have never seen the men get so involved and it was hilarious.

What shocked me the most was when Ivy actually helped the men out of a horrible situation and Cleggy actually hugged and kissed Ivy several times. I absolutely loved that!!

I'm glad you found it and loved it.

People have said that its depressing and so don't like it but I think its true to life. We lost a lot of people last year and yet we managed to find humour in all of it, I think the mind has to find humour in such tense, sad circumstances to help it cope with the loss and sadness.

I also liked that there was no laughter just a silence which is also true to life. I love watching it.

You said that Sam's wife was worse than Nora and in some ways she was but the part that brings a tear to my eye every time is when their in the car at the end and they pass Lily Bless Her, stop the car and the wife leans out and says " Oh get in then".
Just goes to show there is a heart in all the woman no matter how tough they come across. :)

The beginning I felt so sorry for Sam. He really didn't seem to want to live and his wife was completely oblivious to his sorrow. I didn't like that. The show seem to go farther with this than normal, but you tend to forget about what Sam's life was like do to the trio helping him have a night with his girlfriend and it gets better after that.

:'( Yes that was something at the end , the wife letting the mistress in the limo, an awkward situation. They were going the same way so what the heck, give her a lift. :-\

:'( Yes that was something at the end , the wife letting the mistress in the limo, an awkward situation. They were going the same way so what the heck, give her a lift. :-\
I think the wife had misgivings how she must have treated Sam and somehow was able to forgive the relationship between the mistress and Sam. Those were my thoughts anyway. ;)

same here, the both loved Sam, the wife accepts that the mistress is part of Sam's life. There was something the wife could not give Sam. :coffee: :coffee:

Brenda, what was your favorite part? My first post shows my favorite part. I loved finding Ivy helped the boys and Cleggy kissing Ivy. That still makes me laugh. ;D

I think many years a ago there was a different attitude to matters of the bedroom and it was a given in some marriages that if the husband wanted any fun in the bedroom he went else where,so mistresses were begrudgingly accepted if it meant the wife wasn't bother with that side of things............ Am in danger of the corner here? :me:.................... I think when the S**ual revaluation arrived that all changed.
I think Sybil was of the old school and put up with Lily Bless Her and was probably, Deep deep down a little bit grateful. She had the house and status she wanted and Sam didn't bother her for any pleasures of the flesh which she obviously wasn't interested in.

I could be wrong but that's how I see it. :D

You maybe right :) On the bus a few years ago ......".I don't mind because it means I don't have to put up with it!!" They'd been talking of a Howard/Marina type situation ::) ::) :-\

You maybe right :) On the bus a few years ago ......".I don't mind because it means I don't have to put up with it!!" They'd been talking of a Howard/Marina type situation ::) ::) :-\

Exactly. Things have changed now of course but it was a Victorian ethos, ladies only did that to reproduce and that's how generations of woman were brought up and it lasted until the period between the two world wars.

All hale HRT ;D ;D ............. OK OK I could do with an hour in the corner :yawn: ;)

:dance: :dance: I finally learned how to do the quotes :dance:. Yes Beth I like that scene. Also Ivy helping out. That was not the norm for her to go with what the trio + Sid were doing.

You have to wonder if Ivey did it for the "boys" or for the sisterhood of wives ( as to Sam's wife.) the whole coffee wives group were very unforgiving of "tarts." At any rate, for Clegg to hug and kiss a woman- any woman- was a wonderful touch. Because we all know how afraid he is of women. Ivey was someone to be afraid of, it's no wonder Sid 'fussed up!

As to having mistress because it " was the times" you are all right. And what a shame because both men and WOMEN missed out on so much more then just having a clean house!

I like the characters and even the premise of the movie, but I've never been happy with the structure. Namely, the part where they decide to take the body from the shed back to Lily. After all the trouble they've been through to that point, its just a nonsensical move. I get that they want to give Lily a chance to grieve with the body, but she could have done that by visiting the shed.

It's not a unique problem to this movie; the series occasionally has episodes where they don't act in a way that makes sense or seems consistent with the characters. It just stands out more to me in a two hour movie. And the storyline aside, the fact that its John Comer's last episode and he was so ill they had to get someone else to dub his voice casts a bit of a pall over the whole thing for me.

To be honest I think it made perfect sense for the trio the move Sam back to Lily Bless Her's. He was in the shed! And they didn't want their friend to spend his last weekend on earth in a shed, even if it was his shed. There was no way they were going to persuade Sybil to let him on the house so the next best thing was for Lily Bless Her to have him. I think any mate given the same circumstances would have done the same. Especially that daft lot. :respect:

To be honest I think it made perfect sense for the trio the move Sam back to Lily Bless Her's. He was in the shed! And they didn't want their friend to spend his last weekend on earth in a shed, even if it was his shed. There was no way they were going to persuade Sybil to let him on the house so the next best thing was for Lily Bless Her to have him. I think any mate given the same circumstances would have done the same. Especially that daft lot. :respect:

From memory, a shabby, much worn out entity like most of the rest of me, it was Lily Bless Her who pleaded with the trio not to have Sam spend his last weekend in a shed. And they could not resist her entreaties.

I'm not sure pleaded is the right phrase Big Unc, she said " He could have had me best room until they were ready for him on Monday" and Foggy said " Well its not infeasible" and that's how it started. They were all depressed about him being in the shed, they saw an opportunity to change that and ran with it. :respect:

I'm not sure pleaded is the right phrase Big Unc, she said " He could have had me best room until they were ready for him on Monday" and Foggy said " Well its not infeasible" and that's how it started. They were all depressed about him being in the shed, they saw an opportunity to change that and ran with it. :respect:

As I said, my memory is positively tatty, but you seem to be concurring that Lily Bless Her had an input. I see it from the perspective that there has been the odd woman in my life (and there are those that maintain there have been a lot of odd women in my life) whose even slightest wish, even gently expressed, was my command. And Lily Bless Her would come into that category. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I think the mixture of the trio, Lily Bless Her, access to Sid's van and alcohol all give birth to the idea and for me it worded. :D
Lets face it with that mix coming up with ideas things could have been a lot worse :eek:

Back