George Chakiris in Extra Extra

I agree with you wstol, this episode seemed to stick out as being written specifically around George who was of course a very big star at the time.

But remember a second rate episode of LOTSW is better than a first rate episode of most of todays sitcoms!!!!!

I agree written purely for him. I suppose if you star in what is considered one of the greatest musical films ever West Side Story and he agrees to take part in a quintessential English Comedy Show then they are going to ensure the script pays due homage to his "world" . It's not unique they did the same for Sir Norman Wisdom . Yes its not a great episode but I would much rather watch that then some unfunny , dire sitcom like say Mum [apologies if there are fans ] which I watched the very first episode of and then watched the second to confirm if it was really that bad and for me personally it was . In true BBC style it's now reached series 3 but what do I know.

It's not an episode I seek out but it's not the worse, for me Big Day at Dream Acres and dare I say it out loud but Full Steam Behind is a least favourite. George was totally miss cast but I think he made the best if it.

Interesting many of these episodes we don’t like are extended specials, perhaps it’s due to 1/2 hour being the optimal timescale for an episode.

Not sure if you know Pearl, Full Steam Behind was Peter Sallis’s very favourite episode?

Favourite episode? I have lots of 'em but nothing compares to 'GETTING SAM HOME'. That is a film but it is an absolute gem.

[QUOTE="Barrychuckle, post: 224160, member:

Not sure if you know Pearl, Full Steam Behind was Peter Sallis’s very favourite episode?
[/QUOTE]
I do know that but it still doesn't appeal to me.

I'm fairly sure Full Steam Behind was Brian Wilde's favourite as well.

The best bit of Extra Extra is near the beginning when Clegg is asked for directions, brilliant scene.

I'm fairly sure Full Steam Behind was Brian Wilde's favourite as well.

The best bit of Extra Extra is near the beginning when Clegg is asked for directions, brilliant scene.

"HAVE YOU SEEN A DEAD MAN ?" - Cracks me up every time I see that. One of the best lines.

Back