Full Steam Behind

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm watching the entire series from start to finish again, last night was the turn of Full Steam Behind one of the favorites of many of the cast.

A couple of things I noticed in this episode; firstly the BBC outside broadcast van which can be seen from the station when the mayor is there. I know this has been discussed on this site before as a blooper, but personally I think it was deliberately put in the shot as for such an occasion the local BBC News team may well be there?
I also noticed when they visit the disused railway shed the light bulb hanging from down still works despite there being massive holes in the roof, don't think this would be very likely!

I found the Summer Winos video on YouTube was amazed to see the train used is still on display!

I never knew that, according to the Wino's video the livery and number has been changed since being used in Full Steam Behind too.

The locomotive is a Great Western Railway 0-6-0 Pannier Tank engine No. 5775 (that means the water tanks are on the side of the unit, like panniers on the side of a cycle or motorbike). It was built at Swindon in 1929 by British Rail to be used in south Wales. In 1963 it was sold to London Transport and given the number L89 and served in the capital until it was purchased by the KWVR in January 1970. The livery used in “Last of Summer Wine” was based on the London Transport livery. It needs extensive repairs, so is only on show until they have raised money for the work.

Thanks for the detailed information, it’s really sad it’s still not repaired as they were fund raising in that video and that was 7 years ago. They could used it in the new Railway Children film and then paid for the repairs.

I’m guessing if/when they’ve raised enough the plan is to put it back into service?

I’m guessing if/when they’ve raised enough the plan is to put it back into service?
I understand KWVR renovated it when they got it in 1970, and it now needs work again - 50 years isn't bad going between refits! I assume it would go back in service, but it's just one of many drains on their finances.

I also noticed when they visit the disused railway shed the light bulb hanging from down still works despite there being massive holes in the roof, don't think this would be very likely!
Hello Barry. I don't imagine Roy Clarke figured we would be catching things like that in 2022! :D

Back