frank thornton in the 3

monty

for me the magic was not there with frank Thornton in the 3 like all the 3 before don't no y great actor loved him in lots of things over the years

I took a bit of time to warm to him , Monty. I much prefer Seymour who could have been a long stayer if things had been different.

It took time for me too but did like him in the end. I think bring in new people was always a tough decision and transition but on the whole I think there did ok.

It took time for me too but did like him in the end. I think bring in new people was always a tough decision and transition but on the whole I think there did ok.
don't no y they did not get foggy back at the time he only had to have a miner operations he did want to come out of the show

frank thornton in the 3

don't no y they did not get foggy back at the time he only had to have a miner operations he did want to come out of the show

I believe this was mentioned on a recent thread allegedly he asked for too much money [or his agent did] so the Beeb did not take up the chance to re-hire him and opted for Frank Thornton instead.

I believe this was mentioned on a recent thread allegedly he asked for too much money [or his agent did] so the Beeb did not take up the chance to re-hire him and opted for Frank Thornton instead.
0 did not know that and know the bbc but when compo died truly and clegg on the show moved me big time but there was one man that should have been there to say good by that was foggy the a team :20:

0 did not know that and know the bbc but when compo died truly and clegg on the show moved me big time but there was one man that should have been there to say good by that was foggy the a team :20:

I believe Brian Wilde was invited to make a guest appearance for Compo's funeral, but he refused. Don't know whether they didn't offer him enough money or if he just didn't want to do it.

Truly was by far, my favorite leader. This is mainly because I started with him. Over the years, I got to like Seymour and Foggy just as much. I didn't like Truly less, I just started liking the others more.

There also seems to be two slightly different Trulys. In the beginning he was a bit of a curmudgeon. After Compo's death he mellowed out quite a bit. One good thing is he showed a softer side than Foggy and Seymours, who were constantly driven by delusions and ideals. While I really enjoyed Foggy and Seymour, this change of pace after so many years was a bit refreshing.

Truly was by far, my favorite leader. This is mainly because I started with him. Over the years, I got to like Seymour and Foggy just as much. I didn't like Truly less, I just started liking the others more.

There also seems to be two slightly different Trulys. In the beginning he was a bit of a curmudgeon. After Compo's death he mellowed out quite a bit. One good thing is he showed a softer side than Foggy and Seymours, who were constantly driven by delusions and ideals. While I really enjoyed Foggy and Seymour, this change of pace after so many years was a bit refreshing.

I think that reflects true life though, we all become more mellow with age and tend to take things more in our stride than we did. Maybe Seymour and Foggy would now be a bit more mellow.

I believe Brian Wilde was invited to make a guest appearance for Compo's funeral, but he refused. Don't know whether they didn't offer him enough money or if he just didn't want to do it.
never seen that before hope it wrong but down to money that time know way sorry I know hes been invited to go back full time lots of times after compo died and would not go back

Last edited:
The departure of Brian Wilde the second time around remains somewhat unclear. Andrew Vines book says Wilde had asked for a reduced role and then a severe flare up of gout lead to his decision to leave altogether. Alan Bell says Wilde was supposed to try and return mid series with Thornton a temporary replacement, but that Wilde made last minute contract demands that were unacceptable and so he was fired. A third account I've read says nothing about contract issues but says Wilde was supposed to come back mid series as well. His health wouldn't allow it and so episodes had to be rewritten for Truly, something I believe there is evidence for. At that point Wilde was supposed to still film the holiday episode that would air first and explain Foggys absence and was expected to return the following series. At the last moment Wilde for some reason backed out of filming, supposedly due to a scheduling conflict. In my opinion There Goes The Groom shows signs of last minute rewriting. Later Wilde decided not to return to the show at all.

Thorntons first series is uneven, for sure. First because of the issues noted above, where they were shoving Truly into episodes written with Foggy in mind. Second, Bell says Thornton took some time getting used to being in a lead role as he was used to being a supporting actor. The following series I feel is much better as Clarke was able to write with Truly in mind. Of course then things blew up again with Bill Owens death. But in my opinion once things settled down to the Truly-Clegg-Billy trio the show had another nice little run.

The departure of Brian Wilde the second time around remains somewhat unclear. Andrew Vines book says Wilde had asked for a reduced role and then a severe flare up of gout lead to his decision to leave altogether. Alan Bell says Wilde was supposed to try and return mid series with Thornton a temporary replacement, but that Wilde made last minute contract demands that were unacceptable and so he was fired. A third account I've read says nothing about contract issues but says Wilde was supposed to come back mid series as well. His health wouldn't allow it and so episodes had to be rewritten for Truly, something I believe there is evidence for. At that point Wilde was supposed to still film the holiday episode that would air first and explain Foggys absence and was expected to return the following series. At the last moment Wilde for some reason backed out of filming, supposedly due to a scheduling conflict. In my opinion There Goes The Groom shows signs of last minute rewriting. Later Wilde decided not to return to the show at all.

Thorntons first series is uneven, for sure. First because of the issues noted above, where they were shoving Truly into episodes written with Foggy in mind. Second, Bell says Thornton took some time getting used to being in a lead role as he was used to being a supporting actor. The following series I feel is much better as Clarke was able to write with Truly in mind. Of course then things blew up again with Bill Owens death. But in my opinion once things settled down to the Truly-Clegg-Billy trio the show had another nice little run.[

Last edited:

what do you think of Blamire?

I think Frank Thornton was an excellent choice as the new third man. Roy Clarke's scripts weren't quite as strong by that point and Truly is not as memorable as Foggy but he was as good a replacement as anyone could reasonably have expected.

While browsing in the book Huddersfield, The Old Days, one of the Images of England series, I noticed mention of a Mr. Herbert Truelove who lived in Huddersfield or one of the close suburbs. There was mention of "Blamire's Mill" on an earlier page. Roy Clarke did a wonderful job of selecting authentically local names for his characters.

Thorntons first series is uneven, for sure. First because of the issues noted above, where they were shoving Truly into episodes written with Foggy in mind. Second, Bell says Thornton took some time getting used to being in a lead role as he was used to being a supporting actor. The following series I feel is much better as Clarke was able to write with Truly in mind. Of course then things blew up again with Bill Owens death. But in my opinion once things settled down to the Truly-Clegg-Billy trio the show had another nice little run.
I think Brian had shingles rather than gout

I think Frank Thornton was an excellent choice as the new third man. Roy Clarke's scripts weren't quite as strong by that point and Truly is not as memorable as Foggy but he was as good a replacement as anyone could reasonably have expected.

Frank Thornton did a remarkable job after Bill Owen's passing both in front of the camera and, I suspect, behind the scenes in lending a stabilizing influence.

Brian Wilde sacked his agent and did his own negotiations not a good idea but evidently he could be awkward at times shame he did not come back to the show as I really liked him my other half says I am very like Foggy.

Back