For Railways fans

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Near to me is what is normally a quiet railway line,with around 10 trains a day plus freight traffic came to life today, it has been used all the weekend for a diversion route for the East Coast trains, but today it had many trains making their way back and forth between the North and London, so I popped down to the nearby station and took myself back 55 plus years and did a bit of train spotting, a few of the pictures I grabbed this morning while I spent an hour on the platform

A 125 en route to London from Edinburgh

RW2.jpg

The New Azuma en route London to Edinburgh, one of the bi-mode Azuma's which can run Diesel or Electric

RW1.jpg

A Engineers work train heading north, one of the many involved with the major works this weekend

RW3.jpg

I'm amazed that the 125's are still running. I've always liked the look of them but they must be 40 years old by now.

I'm amazed that the 125's are still running. I've always liked the look of them but they must be 40 years old by now.

They are over 45 years old and to be honest LNER would be up the creek without them, when the wires are down or the main routes blocked, they have come to the rescue many times, some have already been taken on by Scotrail to run services in the north, Freight operators want to get their hand on some for running high speed bulk parcels around the UK, so I think they will be about for some years yet. I have read that they are still more comfortable to travel in that many of the modern trains

I have been in Stratford and Cotswolds this weekend and whilst in Stratford I came across a wonderful little cafe called the Forties which is styled like a Cafe of that era . The menu is disguised as a Ration book all the furniture and memorabilia is based on the 40's including the tea service you get your food and drinks on/in plus the music they play is all from that era , where else in a commercial business especially Cafe would you hear three George Formby songs amongst others . Anyway they sold all sorts of memorabilia ration books, war time cook book and I also noticed that they had replica newspapers for key moments in History , declaration of war , dambusters raid , VE day etc and its British Newspapers from the day of those events .

I decided look on the net when I got home mainly because it was absolutely tipping down and nothing would have stayed dry . I found a site that sells them and all sorts of memorabilia but also , and why I'm using this thread, a steam train memorabilia pack which I thought may interest some of the members . Here is the link below

I have been in Stratford and Cotswolds this weekend and whilst in Stratford I came across a wonderful little cafe called the Forties which is styled like a Cafe of that era . The menu is disguised as a Ration book all the furniture and memorabilia is based on the 40's including the tea service you get your food and drinks on/in plus the music they play is all from that era , where else in a commercial business especially Cafe would you hear three George Formby songs amongst others . Anyway they sold all sorts of memorabilia ration books, war time cook book and I also noticed that they had replica newspapers for key moments in History , declaration of war , dambusters raid , VE day etc and its British Newspapers from the day of those events .

I decided look on the net when I got home mainly because it was absolutely tipping down and nothing would have stayed dry . I found a site that sells them and all sorts of memorabilia but also , and why I'm using this thread, a steam train memorabilia pack which I thought may interest some of the members . Here is the link below

I live near Stratford-Upon-Avon and my Mum and I go in the fourteas Cafe a lot! We really love the music too and their afternoon tea!

I have been to Stratford several times Louise and never ever managed to gain entrance .I think with the poor weather people had not ventured out so I was delighted to finally be able to try it and I was really impressed.

how can you go past our 3801 streamliner.
3801-crop-picasso.jpg

and this weekend it got a new lease of life

I just discovered there is a place about an hour west of where I am planning to move this summer that has steam and diesel train rides. I've been on diesel when young for a short trip or two. Don't think I have ever been on a steam train. This is definitely a place I want to check out and have a ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains! :geek2:

The nearest I came to working with trains was when I worked in a ladies shoe shop. When I was serving a customer I would get some shoes off the shelf and say to myself, 'Diesel fitter'. :)

Peri, that sounds like something the character Al Bundy from the sit-com Married With Children would say. He was a ladies shoe salesman and would be very un PC in todays world, haha! Classic 80's - 90's American comedy show. :29:

Back