For Railways fans

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Near to me is what is normally a quiet railway line,with around 10 trains a day plus freight traffic came to life today, it has been used all the weekend for a diversion route for the East Coast trains, but today it had many trains making their way back and forth between the North and London, so I popped down to the nearby station and took myself back 55 plus years and did a bit of train spotting, a few of the pictures I grabbed this morning while I spent an hour on the platform

A 125 en route to London from Edinburgh

RW2.jpg

The New Azuma en route London to Edinburgh, one of the bi-mode Azuma's which can run Diesel or Electric

RW1.jpg

A Engineers work train heading north, one of the many involved with the major works this weekend

RW3.jpg

Roger

I'm amazed that the 125's are still running. I've always liked the look of them but they must be 40 years old by now.

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I'm amazed that the 125's are still running. I've always liked the look of them but they must be 40 years old by now.
They are over 45 years old and to be honest LNER would be up the creek without them, when the wires are down or the main routes blocked, they have come to the rescue many times, some have already been taken on by Scotrail to run services in the north, Freight operators want to get their hand on some for running high speed bulk parcels around the UK, so I think they will be about for some years yet. I have read that they are still more comfortable to travel in that many of the modern trains