Foggy's egg?

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
At the end of 'What's Santa Brought for Nora Then?' when everyone is opening their Christmas presents, Ivy receives a painted egg and looks puzzled when she reads the enclosed note. I assume this came from Foggy who had an egg painting busines in Bridlington and that this was a nod to his imminent return at the start of the following season. I thought it funny when he visited the cafe on his reappearance In 'Return of the Warrior' that Ivy never mentioned the egg. One of those many anomalies throught the series.Fullscreen capture 25092019 091721.jpgFullscreen capture 25092019 091925.jpg

I suppose the egg was just a Christmas present.

The note enclosed doesn't necessarily announce his return.

The purpose of the egg and the note is really for the audience's benefit, at least those who can remember that Foggy inherited an egg decorating business 4 years ago - a device to suggest to the audience that Foggy may be coming back.

If in The Return of the Warrior Ivy had mentioned the egg, it wouldn't add much to the story. She received the egg nine months before, and had probably sent a thank you note back.

Incidently, there was potential there for a good spin-off series with Foggy running an egg decorating business in Bridlington. A wasted opportunity which Roy Clarke would have written brilliantly. I don't think it was ever planned, this is my idea, but it would have worked as a spin-off in my opinion.

I suppose the egg was just a Christmas present.

The note enclosed doesn't necessarily announce his return.

The purpose of the egg and the note is really for the audience's benefit, at least those who can remember that Foggy inherited an egg decorating business 4 years ago - a device to suggest to the audience that Foggy may be coming back.

If in The Return of the Warrior Ivy had mentioned the egg, it wouldn't add much to the story. She received the egg nine months before, and had probably sent a thank you note back.

Incidently, there was potential there for a good spin-off series with Foggy running an egg decorating business in Bridlington. A wasted opportunity which Roy Clarke would have written brilliantly. I don't think it was ever planned, this is my idea, but it would have worked as a spin-off in my opinion.
Brian Wilde was already in a short lived sitcom called Wyatts Watchdogs at that time which interestingly featured Trevor Bannister. I think BW had a reputation as a very difficult person to work with, also he never had an agent. I don't think Roy Clarke was a big fan of him, so I doubt he'd have wanted to write a spin off for him! But a wonderful idea and I'm trying to imagine what it would have been like!!!

Back