Lino

Being one of many American anglophiles, I enjoy checking out British tv, movies, and literature. I was looking for any movie with Alastair Sim in it on youtube (I've only seen a few), and, not finding much, I noticed a movie with Janet Munro (who I know from Disney's Darby O'Gill and the Little People, and Swiss Family Robinson), so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's called "Life For Ruth (1962)", and is a tale of a couple who live their religion which bars blood transfusions, even when their 8 year old daughter is involved, and the legal consequences of such an action/inaction. Not bad as a movie, but early on, in the first 15 minutes of the film, there was this fellow with a familiar, friendly smile that I was sure I knew from somewhere. It took a few minutes, but of course it was our Seymour (Michael Aldridge), playing a doctor in a small town hospital. Nice seeing him so young, but then, at 1:01:17 into the film, none other than Brian Wilde shows up in an un-credited speaking role as a newspaper photographer who's rather dashing and hard-nosed. You never know who you'll you run into in some of the old films.

Hi Lino,

You took me back a ways mentioning Alastair Sim. Knew the name sounded familiar, did a Google search. Up popped a familiar face I had not seen in a while and the movie A Christmas Carol.
I always find it neat when a character from another show I enjoy appears unexpectedly in what I am currently watching. :)

Cheers,
Rick

He is of course famous in the UK for his role as headmistress Amelia Fritton in the St Trinians films which also starred the wonderful Joyce Grenfell . If you haven't listened to any of her monologues please do, particularly the Nursery School . It's comedic genius of the first order and I know a lot of comedians such as Miranda Hart always site her as an inspiration to there starting up in comedy.

Back