Elite.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Remembering I'm not really a sports fan but I've been engrossed in this football super league debacle for some reason so I was wondering what your thoughts where on the fiasco?
From my understanding the story goes like this ( and this is one of the few times anyone can call me wrong ) rich club owners want more money so they get together and create a league of super rich clubs so they can play elite games but.... when the fans find out they give a huge resounding Hell No! We're not paying to see that, so the club owners are now faced with putting on matches that no one will pay to see, no platforms are willing to show and the clubs face being excluded from the tournaments that bring in the cash and alienating their fans so one by one they back off. The apology speeches I've read kinda say, " sorry we love our fans ( fans money ) we were wrong to upset our fans, ( fans money) we've now seen the error of our ways, by the way it was someone else fault, please don't take your support away from us ( your money) ". How right or wrong am I?

Last edited:
My club weren't invited but if they had I'd have been even more angry than I was when the news broke . Money is totally at the centre of it , no competition as such as there was going to be no relegation . They are only apologising because of the backlash if it had gone ahead they would have been delighted . The Glazer family have asset striped Man Utd put them in huge debt because it certainly isn't their money they have been using for the time they have been in charge and have been taking money out of the business.

The most pertinent comment I have seen on this came from a Liverpool fan who said given a year or so from setting the ESL up and they could probably sell Anfield because they cartel would be staging all the games at different venues Worldwide and particularly in the Far East where they are huge fans of English teams .

I don't think they expected such a vociferous reaction and once one team pulled out then the domino effect took over . I am sure we haven't seen the last of it as the Pandemic has had a huge financial impact on all clubs plus a number of them who were touted , Barcelona , Real Madrid have huge debts with no way of recouping it at present .

Remembering I'm not really a sports fan but I've been engrossed in this football super league debacle for some reason so I was wondering what your thoughts where on the fiasco?
From my understanding the story goes like this ( and this is one of the few times anyone can call me wrong ) rich club owners want more money so they get together and create a league of super rich clubs so they can play elite games but.... when the fans find out they give a huge resounding Hell No! We're not paying to see that, so the club owners are now faced with putting on matches that no one will pay to see, no platforms are willing to show and the clubs face being excluded from the tournaments that bring in the cash and alienating their fans so one by one they back off. The apology speeches I've read kinda say, " sorry we love our fans ( fans money ) we were wrong to upset our fans, ( fans money) we've now seen the error of our ways, by the way it was someone else fault, please don't take your support away from us ( your money) ". How right or wrong am I?

I dislike football but was intrigued at all the fuss, and especially why the PM was getting involved. Football clubs are basically a business so I'm not sure why it's a problem if some of them want a new league.

football, what's football?
If it ain't got a long ball then it ain't worth playing!!!

I dislike football but was intrigued at all the fuss, and especially why the PM was getting involved. Football clubs are basically a business so I'm not sure why it's a problem if some of them want a new league.
From the responses of friends it's the fact theres a lack of surprise or entertainment, hoping your underdog team can take on the big teams and maybe win a few but theres no underdog teams. I remember one world cup where Cameroon did quite well and even I was asking what the score was because no one expected them to get past the first round, it moments like that fans hope for but the super league wouldn't have that. It's all money, I agree it's all business based now but at least fans hope their team get somewhere.

Football has long been a business where only the corporate boxes have been full of "customers". The boxes have been reserved for entertaining! Even down among the likes of League 2 ! .Joe public has often struggled to get season tickets and a seat in the stands !! :08:

All this brings back memories of a man called Kerry Packer who tried to do something similar with cricket. Does anyone remember him?:41:
KERRY PACKER very nearly killed off my favourite sport! If it carries on thew way it is ( The 100 competition etc !With terms like Batters instead of batsmen it will soon be like baseball):fp:

What I want to know is are the clubs that were going to be joining it going to be punished for what in my opinion is treachery? It's like telling your wife you're planning to move out and live with your secretary but then telling her a few days later you've decided to stay and expecting everything to carry on as before!!!!!!!!

What I want to know is are the clubs that were going to be joining it going to be punished for what in my opinion is treachery? It's like telling your wife you're planning to move out and live with your secretary but then telling her a few days later you've decided to stay and expecting everything to carry on as before!!!!!!!!
It's the rich behind the clubs that were causing the problem.
For anyone who understands the game, I have got a job with Sheffield United as a 'ball boy'. I pick the ball up from the back of United's goal.:D:D:D

From what I've seen it was more like Pearl putting up with Howard but in no way countenancing him leaving for real, so he has to come back sheepishly.

I think the threat of being banned from other tournaments and the premiership league scared the bejesus out of them, can you imagine what the tables would look like without those 6? Leicester would have another chance of winning. I think a lot of people are totally p****** by this, I think time will tell if theres any long lasting effects. They have won the record for the shortest league in history, 2 days has to be a record.

From what I've seen it was more like Pearl putting up with Howard but in no way countenancing him leaving for real, so he has to come back sheepishly.
Oh I think if that happened he'd never close his eyes again, woman like Pearl bide their time they wait a while, the anticipation of not knowing when the other shoe will drop is terrifying. That's real psychological warfare wife style.

On the subject of football, does anybody think that the 'off side' rule should be abolished? It does cause a lot of controversy. :oops::31::mad::eek2::confused2::30:

the 'off side' rule

No one seems to understand it the latest version of it , it is so stupid even if a player is offside the move carries on and if the team happen to score the linesman will then raise his flag , barmy . I recall days of my callow youth when I used to ask a date if she could explain the offside rule and if she could she was a "keeper" :) [ Before you crack me Pearl I know its not PC now ]

No one seems to understand it the latest version of it , it is so stupid even if a player is offside the move carries on and if the team happen to score the linesman will then raise his flag , barmy . I recall days of my callow youth when I used to ask a date if she could explain the offside rule and if she could she was a "keeper" :) [ Before you crack me Pearl I know its not PC now ]
Sort of the same with Rugby. The referee will let the players carry on and score a try then blow his whistle for a penalty about quarter of the way back up the field. I'm quite shocked that some players haven't given them a gentle physical tickle so far.

Back