Edith Clegg

Elmc

Dedicated Member
In the pilot episode, when our three boys go to change the flowers at Mrs. Clegg's headstone, it appears to read 1900 - 1971. Can someone else check this?

In the pilot episode, when our three boys go to change the flowers at Mrs. Clegg's headstone, it appears to read 1900 - 1971. Can someone else check this?
We've had a number of discussions on this topic. If you go to General Discussion and look to the far right, there is a search button. Click on that and type in Edith Clegg. It will bring up several threads discussing her. This will give you the opinions of many members - both past and present.

The script as published in the expensive little paperback book specified that the headstone was to have read 1920-1971. It seems to me that this is another instance of the director and the props people not expecting viewers to look nearly as closely at the show as most of us do.

Marianna

As said somewhere in the archive will be all the comments, theories and ruminations. When first broadcast Clegg was meant to be redundant thus under the age of 65, but he does refe to being married during the depression which would have made him about 61 thus 1910 better. However I think that he starting point moved as the number of series grew, so 1920 would be better which would still make Norman younger as he was born in 1921 (as per FOSW diary of .... Aged 18 years) a toy boy!

As said somewhere in the archive will be all the comments, theories and ruminations. When first broadcast Clegg was meant to be redundant thus under the age of 65, but he does refe to being married during the depression which would have made him about 61 thus 1910 better. However I think that he starting point moved as the number of series grew, so 1920 would be better which would still make Norman younger as he was born in 1921 (as per FOSW diary of .... Aged 18 years) a toy boy!

Do you think Roy Clarke randomly selected 1920 for Edith Clegg's birth year when he specified that year in the script for the pilot? As far as I can tell, the scripts in the paperback are the originals, not necessarily the dialog and stage directions as filmed.

Marianna

The script as published in the expensive little paperback book specified that the headstone was to have read 1920-1971. It seems to me that this is another instance of the director and the props people not expecting viewers to look nearly as closely at the show as most of us do.

Marianna

I have the 1976 paperback with scripts from the pilot and series one.

I would say these are the original scripts, written before the episodes were actually made. The scripts slightly differ to the actual recorded episode.

However, in MY book the headstone is described as reading 'Edith Clegg 1909-1971'!

Can you check your book again please?

Bearing in mind this was the pilot, and was specifically designed to be about three old men, this would imply Clegg should be somewhere around 62.

You could still be considered redundant at 62.

It's worth remembering the part was always written with Peter Sallis in mind, who would only have been about 51 then.

Personally, when I watch the programme, I try to convince myself it says 1920, as it looks a bit like that, and it fits in with First of the Summer Wine, and the real ages of Sallis and most of the cast, including later LOTSW stars.

However, in MY book the headstone is described as reading 'Edith Clegg 1909-1971'! Can you check your book again please?

I'm sure you're right. Don't know if there was more than one edition of the book, but I doubt it. I wrote 1920 without double-checking the book, but I'll take a look at it if I remember when I go back to the house tomorrow.

I'm currently living in a motel about four miles down the road because I'm having the only full bathroom in the house remodeled. Likely as not, I'll get involved with questions from the contractor, plumber, electrician, designer and window/door expert as soon as I walk in the door and won't get a chance to think about anything else until after I've left for the day.

Marianna

Back