Edie's China

me2

Dedicated Member
A while back I surprised everyone when I called Edie's china the Elizabethan Staffordshire's "English Garden" pattern. My daughter-in-law had discovered that was the pattern. Before that we all thought it was the Royal Albert "Old Country Roses" Collection. Later I discovered that the "Old Country Roses" pattern was used in the episode "When You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" (season 9) - this was before the Coffee Mornings started.
So I decided to do a little more checking and will share my findings with those who are interested:

Coffee Mornings started in season 10 with various white china with silver borders being used through season 11.
In season 12 the "English Garden" pattern was used and continued for 4 seasons.
In seasons 16 & 18 "English Garden" was used in 11 episodes and "Old Country Roses" was used in 7 episodes.
Season 17 was all "Old Country Roses."
Seasons 19 & 20 used only "English Garden."
Seasons 21-24 used "Old Country Roses" exclusively.

Why they switched back and forth is anyone's guess but the patterns are very similar and it's possible the prop people didn't know the difference. The shapes of the cup are different with OCR having more of a flair at the top. OCR's handle is also elongated.

The easiest way to tell them apart is the rose pattern on the front of the cup. The EG flowers are arranged in an oval with the yellow rose at the center. The OCR flowers are arranged in a triangular pattern with the yellow rose at the bottom of the triangle on the right side.
I know this is way more information than most of you wanted, but a couple people had shown an interest - so here it is for them. I will now shut-up.

Not too much info: well spotted.

I would have thought, however, that Edie would have had a least two sets of fine porcelain crockery and thus you would not always get the same set each time. Many ladies, and men too, have more than one tea service: one left them by an aunt, another a wedding present and yet another a present from some one else. I think I still have a not dis-similar tea set somewhere in the upper garret in a box but too much faff tp drag it out!

Not too much info: well spotted.

I would have thought, however, that Edie would have had a least two sets of fine porcelain crockery and thus you would not always get the same set each time. Many ladies, and men too, have more than one tea service: one left them by an aunt, another a wedding present and yet another a present from some one else. I think I still have a not dis-similar tea set somewhere in the upper garret in a box but too much faff tp drag it out!

Edie did have more than one set. For the first coffee morning she used a white china with wide gold rim and gold filigree on the cup. The next 5 coffee mornings she used a white china set with a double gold rim. And she used a white with pastel flowers one time in the special Barry's Christmas. She certainly could have inherited either or both of the flowered sets, though it's doubtful anyone would buy two such similar patterns.

She also had teapots and dishes displayed in the room that we never saw her use.

Last edited:
Edie did have more than one set. For the first coffee morning she used a white china with wide gold rim and gold filigree on the cup. The next 5 coffee mornings she used a white china set with a double gold rim. And she used a white with pastel flowers one time in the special Barry's Christmas. She certainly could have inherited either or both of the flowered sets, though it's doubtful anyone would buy two such similar patterns.

She also had teapots and dishes displayed in the room that we never saw her use.

I have teapots in my kitchen which I seldom use, and dishes as well.

I have known females who do buy very similar stuff .....:D :D :D :D

I have teapots in my kitchen which I seldom use, and dishes as well.

I have known females who do buy very similar stuff .....:D :D :D :D

Speaking of teapots, Compo served tea from a brown with cream stripes teapot and I happen to have the IDENTICAL teapot. My eyes really bugged out when I saw it!

Also, as per the tea sets of Edie's above, the BEEB always changed the sets and props every year. So Edie's tea sets were probably routinely changed every year. You can really notice this on "As Time Goes By" the wall in the Foyer changes, the bed headboard changes, and the kitchen wall changes from season to season.

Back