Early Episodes

LOTSW Fan

Dedicated Member
Has anyone heard if the episodes from 1973 & 1975 will be on dvd soon? Are they out and I just can't find them?:

Has anyone heard if the episodes from 1973 & 1975 will be on dvd soon? Are they out and I just can't find them?:

If you need region 1 DVDs, the only option is less than satisfactory. It's the set in the bright pink packaging issued by BFS Video. Season two is incomplete and the shows aren't closed-captioned. The first half of season one was strung together into a 90-minute movie. The episodes from the second half, as well as the first three episodes of season 2, are shown as separate episodes. The fourth disc contains Getting Sam Home. The final four episodes of season 2 are missing.

If you can play region 2 discs, the other option is to look for "Last of the Summer Wine Series 1 & 2" on Amazon or similar sites. This set isn't closed-captioned, either, but at least it's complete. Most of the merchants who sell this item will ship internationally. There are region-fee DVD players available at reasonable prices, or some newer DVD drives in computers are shipped from the factory and installed as region-free. http://www.ehow.com/how_6748517_unlock-dvd-region-pc.html describes how to check on your setting and change it if necessary. Be aware, though, that the setting can be changed only four times. The fourth setting becomes permanent.

Hope any of this helps.

Marianna

All the early episodes are on DVD from amazon.co.uk. If you
are not in the UK, you can still order them. My Samsung and
Pioneer DVD players play ALL DVDs including Region=2 from
the UK.

As an aside, I have found US DVD sets (West Wing comes to mind)
that I bought way cheaper from the UK than I could get from
the US.

chuck

If getting the UK DVD is not an option, you can view any of those episodes on YouTube. I have even downloaded them to my computer so I can watch them any time. They are not closed caption and are not the best quality, but they are better than not getting to see them at all.

I do have some of them on VHS. It sounds like it would be easier to wait until they are available in the USA. Besides, I'm not that big of a fan of Blamire.

Thank you all for the info.

A little help on the Region 2(europe) correct? they won't play on all DVD or BlueRay, but they will work on laptops? I have Last of the summer wine which has most of the Blamire, and Sam Coming home. Its the one that Marianna (Index) was talking about It is a pinkish box set I got from Amazon. I was thinking of getting the ones from UK so I can have ALL of them.

It would be okay just to run thru my laptop if it will play. Bit of help fellow winos!

LOTSW fan I'm not holding my breath on that one. That is why I may just get the UK version.

I've got a few of the later episodes downloaded, but I don't really like the early episodes. I'd say get the UK DVDs on Amazon if you can find it.

"A little help on the Region 2(europe) correct? they won't play on all DVD or BlueRay, but they will work on laptops"

Be careful. On many (most??) computers in the US, if you
put in a UK disk AND play it, you have only a few more
plays before the drive on the laptop becomes Region=2
rather than the Region=1 (US) it had been. Be careful
and know what you are doing before you do it.

Thanks for the info Chuck. Had no idea. I think I will just purchase and hold on until I can get a region 2 or one that does both when this one wears out. Don't want to damage my laptop!!!

Thanks again.:)

Would this work?

Because of the limit of four region changes per computer DVD drive, if someone frequently needed to access both region 1 and region 2 discs on his or her computer (not on his or her TV set), how about using an external drive in addition to the built in drive, with the external drive permanently set to the less frequently used region? That would avoid resetting the region on the primary DVD drive and would avoid the risk of accidentally ending up with it set to the wrong region. For the most part, external drives are very inexpensive, even lower than DVD players that have had their electronics altered to make them region free.

I haven't tested this yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

Marianna

Good link for the all region, Chuck. I bought an all region Pioneer from Amazon a few years back and then bought my missing LOSW dvds from the U.K. Love it.

Have to say I against doing too much with the computer for this use, I'm hooked up to the TV.

Would this work?

But is it technologically feasible, whether or not it would be widely used?

If anyone can offer a knowledgeable evaluation of the hypothesis before I test it, I'd be grateful for his/her input. After I've tested it, I'll post the results.

Marianna

I bought an all region Pioneer from Amazon a few years back

We also have a Pioneer to go with the Samsung. And they both
have USB ports so I can play AVI files without using a disc.

I prefer the Samsung as it plays the AVIs faster, and the
disc "menu" holds a few more characters for easier identification
of what's to play. I am hoping that newer DVD/USB players
will start to play MP4s or MKVs as they get more popular.

We have SW DVDs up to the end of the current BBC output,
but I really prefer playing AVI files of the USB drive. There
is none of the DVD startup overhead, and it's way more
portable.

Because of the limit of four region changes per computer DVD drive, if someone frequently needed to access both region 1 and region 2 discs on his or her computer (not on his or her TV set), how about using an external drive in addition to the built in drive, with the external drive permanently set to the less frequently used region? That would avoid resetting the region on the primary DVD drive and would avoid the risk of accidentally ending up with it set to the wrong region. For the most part, external drives are very inexpensive, even lower than DVD players that have had their electronics altered to make them region free.

I haven't tested this yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

If anyone can offer a knowledgeable evaluation of the hypothesis before I test it, I'd be grateful for his/her input. After I've tested it, I'll post the results.

Marianna

Since no one took a stab at evaluating my hypothesis, I ran it by the guru at my favorite local computer shop and ordered an external DVD drive. It was delivered today and I've just installed it and tested my hypothesis.

It works exactly as anticipated, at a nearly trivial price, so now the DVD drive built into my computer can remain permanently set to region 1 and the external DVD drive can remain permanently set to region 2. Although I might occasionally forget and insert a disc of the wrong region, the software for each drive will display a warning and ask if I want to change the region. It will also display the number of changes remaining before the region is permanently set to the last region selected, so it protects me from my own absentmindedness, as well.

Marianna

Back