Don't Drink the Water - Stephen Lewis

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Not long ago I ordered up this DVD set of series 1 & 2 and got it the other week. Found a great deal that was $12 including shipping. Figured no big loss if I did not like the show. I've finished watching the episodes and found them to be pretty funny. Stephen is on point with his Inspector Blake / Smiler personality.

After retiring from the Luxton Bus Depot, Cyril (Stephen) and his sister Dorothy (Pat Coombs) make the move to sunny Spain. A move that Dorothy was reluctant to do because she preferred going to Bognor instead. Unfortunately for them their 4th floor flat that he purchased has plumbing and electrical problems. The lift (elevator) works about as well there as the one in Are You Being Served at Grace Brothers! Also, the water is undrinkable and a hotel or something is being built that will block their view of the ocean. Poor Cyril things never seem to work out the way he would like.

I did recognize several guests on the show. I believe the guy who played Herr Flick's sidekick Von Smallhausen from 'Allo 'Allo was in a few spots as a maintenance man. One of the Clippies played a tourist who was kicked out of the place she was staying. Though in this case they did not know each other so she was not playing as a Clippy from On the Buses. Her boyfriend was non other than Onslo from Keeping up Appearances! He looked darn near the same but much younger, no beard and longer hair. Tempted to post a screenshot of him. Enjoyed how he used to ruffle Hyacinth's feathers in KuA. Plus a lady who was in a Fawlty Towers episode, I think the one with the wedding guests plays as one of Cyril's neighbors.

All in all I really liked the series. The only thing I did not really care for too much was how whiny and complaining Dorothy could get at times in wanting to have gone to Bognor. I understand she was upset at the situation at times but it really made me feel for Cyril if she was like this as they were growing up. Anyways, anyone else seen this show?

Rick

Never saw this sequel. Often they do not work as well as the original. One I can think of is "Going straight" following the adventures of Fletcher on his release from prison - never quite captured that same spirit.

Thinking about it though the best sitcoms ar where two or three people are shut in a "closed" community with no wish or chance of escape. Porridge was a classic. Dad's Army with a war on they had no choice but to stay together and act together. Could argue that for SW - no wish nor cash to move, and being single the three were outside the usual reach of society and free. How Sid and Wally, Wesley, Barry and later Billy must have longed to be with them in some sense. In SW Blamire and Compo would never have mixed normally but they were both unemployed but young enough to do things. In Steptoe and Son it was an economic closed community that forced them to get on. Can anyone think of where this is not the case? Sorry - I am hijacking a thread by enquiring thus - however no sequitur is a long established tradition in SW land ...

Thanks for the reply, barmpot. Was starting to wonder if Stephen would get any love for this series.

I agree that Going Straight did not live up to it's original. Don't Drink the Water is somewhat different in that it can be a complete stand alone show. The only connection to the original is that some of us would know where the main character came from. The show does not harp on about it and very few references are made to On the Buses.

This could be likened to George and Mildred series that spun off of Man About the House. Very little references are made to the original.
I'm a fan of George and Mildred and Man About the House. Also a fan of the American version Three's Company which I grew up watching on TV. Yootha as Mildred played a good equivalent to Basil's Sybil of Fawlty Towers. Another classic show.

Thinking about Stephen Lewis - he also played a not entirely dish-similar character in Oh! Dr Beeching.

He was arose signalman although he was much more street wise than Smiler with several sidelines that would augment his railway pay!

I have heard of Oh! Dr Beeching but don't think I have seen anything from it. I will need to try to check it out. Is it a series you liked?

I have to say it is a decent watch in essence it was a vehicle for David Croft to reward most of the main cast of his [ and Jimmy Perry's] successful Hi De Hi and You rang M'Lord shows with some more air time [ Paul Shane, Su Pollard , Jeffrey Holland] . The viewing figures declined and it was axed but it was plagued with scheduling issues which didn't help . Would I watch it , yes, would I buy it [currently £22.99 on Amazon UK] well yes I would because I did a while back .

More shows I have heard of but not seen yet. I know of David Croft (and Jeremy Llyod) from the hilarious 'Allo 'Allo comedy show. Chalk up more on the list of shows to look into. Thanks for the input guys. :)

Rick here's the list for David Croft comedies and I have left the links in so you can check out the synopsis . Hope this helps.

Written with Jimmy Perry
Written with Jeremy Lloyd
Written with Richard Spendlove

Wow, thanks captain! I did not realize he also had a part in making Are You Being Served? and Grace and Favour. A couple of my favorite classics. :21:

Thinking about Stephen Lewis - he also played a not entirely dish-similar character in Oh! Dr Beeching.

He was arose signalman although he was much more street wise than Smiler with several sidelines that would augment his railway pay!

That should have said morose signalman - stupid typing ....

I have heard of Oh! Dr Beeching but don't think I have seen anything from it. I will need to try to check it out. Is it a series you liked?

As I am quite involved with railways it had an added interest for me. Richard Spendlove who wrote some of the episodes and appeared as the Superintendent was a former railway worker himself so a lot was quite near the truth. Also my father and grandfather were both employees of the Southern Railway (the big four one not the modern one) when I was born and it fitted with well with what I can recall. As with any TV sitcom some liberties are taken with facts and arrangements to fit a half hour slot but it was good fun with intertestingly the roles played by Paul Shane and Jeffery Holland being reversed with Jeffrey being the one in charge and Paul the second in line.

Some quite funny moments and I have all three series on DVD - nice change but very good 1960s feel.

Thank you for the input, barmpot. I will definitely be looking in to watching some Dr Beeching as soon as I can. I like that some who actually worked in the train industry were a part of the show. Just something about trains that creates a boyhood feeling of awe about them. :geek2:

Back