Doggy Scoff

WesleyRocks

Dedicated Member
Pardon the American here, I was watching an episode today and Sid was carrying a box that said Doggy Scoff on the outside of it, I promptly opened a google window and searched for it. All I could find out about it was it is a northern pie not much more.
Can anyone explain further?
Thank you, Darin

Pardon the American here, I was watching an episode today and Sid was carrying a box that said Doggy Scoff on the outside of it, I promptly opened a google window and searched for it. All I could find out about it was it is a northern pie not much more.
Can anyone explain further?
Thank you, Darin

Could be a product which was available back in the days when Sid was in the show but which is no longer produced.

Probably a tin dog food that he sold from his van with the see through floor (Bedford Dormabile) he seemed to sell all sorts of rubbish when the van went!

The reference to northern pie is to a blog

http://northernpies.blogspot.co.uk/2010_10_01_archive.html

in which he refers to some dog food as 'doggy scoff'.

I suspect that at the time the BBC was keen not to inadvertently give any advertising out so any cartons etc were created so as not to advertise any real product. Doggy scoff would have been a 'made up name' and often people used boxes that contained something other than indicated on the box.

Likewise in the Ivy and Sid scene on the beach the tip of Ivy's magazine is torn so you can not make out the title.

The reference to northern pie is to a blog

http://northernpies.blogspot.co.uk/2010_10_01_archive.html

in which he refers to some dog food as 'doggy scoff'.

I suspect that at the time the BBC was keen not to inadvertently give any advertising out so any cartons etc were created so as not to advertise any real product. Doggy scoff would have been a 'made up name' and often people used boxes that contained something other than indicated on the box.

Likewise in the Ivy and Sid scene on the beach the tip of Ivy's magazine is torn so you can not make out the title.

Yes, that makes great sense, unlike today where almost every movie, television show, etc has someone promoting their product.
I do remember as a child made up products in TV, but my mind didn't go there for some reason on this :)
Thank you

Blue Peter used sticky back plastic,I used to look in the shops for this until I realised it was cellotape!

Another American here, and sorry to resurrect, but it seems better than creating a new thread.

Anyway, I've wondered for a few years now about the case of Doggy Scoff and have kind of assumed it was a kind of inside joke thing since it happened just a few minutes after Foggy asks Sid for three of his "horrible meat pies". Like something a prop maker might do just for a laugh.

Another American here, and sorry to resurrect, but it seems better than creating a new thread.

Anyway, I've wondered for a few years now about the case of Doggy Scoff and have kind of assumed it was a kind of inside joke thing since it happened just a few minutes after Foggy asks Sid for three of his "horrible meat pies". Like something a prop maker might do just for a laugh.

Welcome aboard, you may well be right and this was a bit of a joke

Welcome to the Forum ,Bob, nice to have you on board . Scoff is a northern word not only for generic "food" but also is a verb "to eat" . Sir Ian Botham at the time was putting out feelers for free dog biscuits or dog " food" which he refers to as " scoff" presumably for the dog he owned at the time .

I think "scoff" was commonly used in Northern counties [as was scran] and specifically Yorkshire in this case . I can picture John Comer as Sid and certainly Joe Gladwin as Wally using scoff to mean food in the context of the show's dialogue because Roy Clarke, as a man from a borough near Doncaster , Yorkshire , would be familiar with the word without doubt and use it in the show's dialogue.

Another for the scran and scoff group could be "snap". Puzzled me for ages my miner father looking for his snap-tin to take his sandwiches to work.:fp:

Yes that puzzled me too when I went to work in a college near the Yorkshire ming rea. One of my colleagues used to refer to his snap. Took me a little while to realise he meant food even though it was not in a tin but was some sandwiches in greaseproof paper. he had been an engineer in the mines but when he took retirement he retrained as a business studies tutor - he and I were the ones who used to go down into the basement to restart the boiler when it failed (which it did most days). Got used to be asked out of a class to get the heat going!!

Thanks for the welcome.

Pretty sure I've heard the term before on this and a maybe couple other UK sitcoms. I don't know if there's any connection, but here in the western US "scarf" is a common term for eating. Usually eating quickly and said as "scarf down". I'll be out to help as soon as I scarf down my lunch.

I agree, scarf is a common term around these parts as well. Matter of fact I am about to scarf down a late dinner after I finish typing this because I'm starving. :21:

Another for the scran and scoff group could be "snap". Puzzled me for ages my miner father looking for his snap-tin to take his sandwiches to work.:fp:
The tin wasn't made out of Alligator or Crocodile skin was it?. It might account for a couple of episodes where they mention those creatures.

Hence we also had a Crib Room where we
we would take our Crib Break.

Brian you may remember but Crib [or Cribbage to give it its Sunday name] is a card game commonly played in Northern CIU clubs . Were you pretending to go to eat food when it was only a ruse for a card school and if it was were the Steaks sorry Stakes high :08::tw::fp:

Back