Continuity errors and mistakes

imitation700mb

Dedicated Member
Apart from the obvious mistakes, like Ivy's kitchen window, has anyone ever noticed any other mistakes or continuity errors in any Summer Wine episode. I know there was a scene with Edie and Wesley where Wesley is leaning on a newspaper on the kitchen table. One minute it is there, and the next minutes it has gone. I find it is interesting to note the errors and mistakes in a show. Anyone know of any more?

There are so many but for the Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg , Truly and he set off from his House in Hill Street Jackson Bridge walking along it to catch the bus , in the next shot where they met Ivy at the Bus Stop they are actually near to Edie and Wesley's House on Dobb Lane in Holmbridge which is over three miles away , about 12 minutes in a car, so given their age it would have taken hours even if they could have made it , long way for a bite of lunch and a beer!

I don't think we can really count these changes of location as continuity errors, as the Summer Wine town is an amalgam of Holmfirth, Jackson Bridge, Holmbridge/Hinchliffe Mill, Marsden, Slaithwaite and lots of other places. The one that always amuses me though is when the trio are chasing Howard dressed as Santa in "CRUMS" - one minute they are in East Street, Jackson Bridge and then, hey presto they are in the lanes behind the church in Holmfirth!

In the early episodes I must have counted at least 1/2 dozen times where the microphone is showing at the top of the cafe shots. Either that or Leo Sayer is hanging upside down from the ceiling.

I was watching the filming one day, at Nora's house and the cameraman was pointing out to Alan Bell that the lighting was reflecting in Nora's door, Alan replied don't worry about it, it shows we had enough money in the budget to afford lights

Leo Sayer is hanging upside down from the ceiling.

Ivy, There's an enormous crowd of people in here
and they're all after my egg and chips
I wish they would tear down the walls of this Cafe
and let me out , let me out!

Oh I've been so blind , yeh
I've wasted time , wasted , wasted so much time
Walking on the walls , high walls , yeh
Now the Beeb won't let the show go on ! :confused:

Over the festive season, the Christmas specials have been screened. In Whoops, the three main gentlemen are watching the school children play, they decide to walk on their hands. Compo is in wellies, yet when he is walking on his hands behind the wall, he has changed to shoes, then when he has finished, back in wellies!

In the early episodes I must have counted at least 1/2 dozen times where the microphone is showing at the top of the cafe shots. Either that or Leo Sayer is hanging upside down from the ceiling.
I've noticed that too plus the famous Full steam behind sence where a van with a BBC logo is seen through a window on the station

If you were watching the original broadcasts on an old CRT screen TV, you probably would not have seen the boom mic. Those screens had slightly curved edges, plus the TVs were set up to over-scan - the edges of the picture extend beyond the area of the screen. TV production people knew this, so they didn't have worry about stuff near the edges. Studio monitors were usually set up to under-scan, so the entire image was visible with a black border of screen un-scanned. To complicate matters the shots done on 16mm (or later, possibly 35mm) film do not match the old 4:3 ratio TVs (they are close to, but not the same as the modern widescreen 16:9 view ratio) so again stuff on the edge of the frame was not likely to be seen. However, now we have 16:9 screens with straight edges, all the bits previously unseen due to the over-scanning are in fully displayed!

Sorry, did that need a set of illustrations and degree in electronics?

One episode, sorry can't remember title. Clegg is outside building wearing woolly gloves, the three enter, Compo pulls off Cleggs gloves which are now black leather! - update :- my memories are obviously off, in The flag and its snag Clegg is wearing black leather gloves as they enter the cafe, when they leave to find the flagpole, they are now woolly gloves.

Last edited:
Another (glove related) mistake, again sorry I can't tell you name, it was re screened over festive season. Compo is persuaded to go on a motorcycle he appears in bike leathers , helmet, and gauntlets, as he loses control and enters a shop, his gauntlets are missing, you hear the crash, and he emerges with gauntlets on.

Another (glove related) mistake, again sorry I can't tell you name, it was re screened over festive season. Compo is persuaded to go on a motorcycle he appears in bike leathers , helmet, and gauntlets, as he loses control and enters a shop, his gauntlets are missing, you hear the crash, and he emerges with gauntlets on.
Situations Vacant

In the episode " The second stag night of Doggy Wilkinson" the gang are wheeling Doggy along in hand cart, and in bottom left hand corner the camera crews equipment becomes visible briefly as they are tracking the cart.

In the episode " The second stag night of Doggy Wilkinson" the gang are wheeling Doggy along in hand cart, and in bottom left hand corner the camera crews equipment becomes visible briefly as they are tracking the cart.
Also the shoes Doggy is wearing when he's standing on the pub table is different from the ones you see when he's in the handcart shortly after...

you've not yet mentioned that when they came out of the pub with Doggy, Clegg was missing ... and was not pushing the cart either. Clegg / his double was dawdling behind!

Back