Compo's teeth

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
Has anyone else noticed how Compo's teeth improve over the series'?

NB: I use the term "improve" in a relative way :fp:

In the first couple of series he seems to have very little teeth left, especially on the lower jaw. I know a lot is makeup and dentures etc, but as you go through all the episodes there is a gradual improvement in the state of his choppers.

As I said, this is of course "relative" and he maintains bad teeth throughout. (Not going into the state of dental care in different countries!!!) Just an observation:36:

I believe this was mentioned a few years back,something I had noticed, it was said that Bill had a lot of dentures,so they made use of this and they were often removed in the earlier series

There are two shows where dentures used by the stars are infamous. The first was Father Ted and specifically the denture / veneers worn by actor Frank Kelly, whose teeth were perfect, and the false teeth which were needed to make his role convincing and boy did they . I think he had several sets and I believe a set were auctioned a while back and went for a considerable sum.

The second is from one of my favourite Steptoe and Son's episodes Divided we Stand, when 'Arold' loses it because of the state of the place and finds Albert's old dentures . Albert mentions how "he wondered what happened to them after they flew out when a bomb had gone orf during the War " He then ducks down and tries them in surfacing to deliver the wonderful " Oh gawd me gums have shrunk" coupled with graphically showing them dropping down in his mouth absolutely priceless and hilarious. :)

I have dentures. I often have thought it would be a good idea to have some special dentures made with Dracula fangs to shock people in restaurants. But just try persuading your family dentist to oblige.
EE by gum. Teeth, a touchy subject for a poverty-stricken Yorkshireman. There was me, mi dad, mi grandad, and mi uncle all with bad teeth and we were so poor we had to share one set of dentures between us. It was quite tiresome waiting for the teeth to come round the table at mealtime. Sometimes it would take us two and three-quarter hours to finish our meal. The good old days we called them. We got through a lot of soup in those days. :25:

We discussed this once before as Terry said.It was remarked at the time how some of the cast "needed dental work " Peter Sallis was mentioned !

I wasn't so focused on the dental health aspect per se, I was just making the observation that the scruffy wee Herbert became less of a scuff, to a certain degree as the program proceeded.
His teeth were the most obvious example of this!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..typing after chemo is a pain, my fine motor skills in the hands have disappeared again:02:

I wasn't so focused on the dental health aspect per se, I was just making the observation that the scruffy wee Herbert became less of a scuff, to a certain degree as the program proceeded.
His teeth were the most obvious example of this!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..typing after chemo is a pain, my fine motor skills in the hands have disappeared again:02:

I know the feeling Brian. I have to type with my left forefinger. I am right handed and not ambiwotsit. I get fed up of rectifying my typing errrers. :20:

An interesting observation...... I have a dozen or so relatives living up in Cheshire / Lancashire / Yorkshire. Whilst they all seem blessed with still having their own teeth, what they DO have, are GREY teeth. I have often wondered why. Something to do with fluoridated water in those areas ?

So I happened to watch Here we go into the wild blue yonder today, and in this picture it appears Compo has something like a veneer over his teeth to make them look either missing or bad, if you watch when he is laying on the bench towards the beginning of the show
CT.jpg

There are two shows where dentures used by the stars are infamous. The first was Father Ted and specifically the denture / veneers worn by actor Frank Kelly, whose teeth were perfect, and the false teeth which were needed to make his role convincing and boy did they . I think he had several sets and I believe a set were auctioned a while back and went for a considerable sum.

The second is from one of my favourite Steptoe and Son's episodes Divided we Stand, when 'Arold' loses it because of the state of the place and finds Albert's old dentures . Albert mentions how "he wondered what happened to them after they flew out when a bomb had gone orf during the War " He then ducks down and tries them in surfacing to deliver the wonderful " Oh gawd me gums have shrunk" coupled with graphically showing them dropping down in his mouth absolutely priceless and hilarious. :)

Back