Clegg and Alcohol

LOTSW Fan

Dedicated Member
Last night I was watching "Crums" and noticed, once again, that Clegg just barely takes a sip of his beer. I've seen that many times. Is that because Peter didn't drink?

Well, someone more knowledgeable will have to put the exact reasoning in, but I think they did not have real beer in those glasses. In addition, if Clegg took his time it further enhanced the scruffy one's thirst in our eyes. lol . . when he would scoff it down.

I would be surprised if it was real beer, the way Compo could down them at times if there was more than one or two takes per scene poor Bill Owen would have been legless most days. :D :D

I thought British television, etc, always used real alcohol. That was one of the main differences between us (as in United States) and them. Besides, if it wasn't real, what was it - tea with foam? Sounds nasty to me.

I thought British television, etc, always used real alcohol. That was one of the main differences between us (as in United States) and them. Besides, if it wasn't real, what was it - tea with foam? Sounds nasty to me.
True, but I imagine they would cut and switch 'em out to ginger ale or something .. . after the foam would presumably die off.

When I was involved in some pub scene filming I noted it all looked real but was non alcoholic

I would be surprised if it was real beer, the way Compo could down them at times if there was more than one or two takes per scene poor Bill Owen would have been legless most days. :D :D
[/quoteLOL. very funny I am picturing the change in Bill's demeanor after each take.
::)
My opinion is that Peter was just watching his waistline. After all he was in the public eye.
;)

Last night I was watching "Crums" and noticed, once again, that Clegg just barely takes a sip of his beer. I've seen that many times. Is that because Peter didn't drink?

If you get a chance to read or listen to Peter's autobiography, Fading In The Limelight there is a funny story in there about him, Bill Owen and Micheal Bates enjoying a few glasses of vodka during lunch while filming the Series Pilot.

Back