Chemotherapy

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
For those that have asked.....surely SOMEONE asked?????:08:

I have just had my first chemo therapy by injection (been on chemo before, but just pills, this time pills AND injections)
I don't recommend it as a holiday experience:confused: but definitely gives me respect for others who have had to undergo it, especially children:03::03::03:
Side effects have definitely kicked in but (so-far) nothing really major. Worse than I expected but better than I feared!

Only SIX more months to go! YEHHHHHH:fp: and as they are actually looking at this as a CURE rather than just mitigation I suppose I will just have to harden up and take it!

Thanks to those who have asked. (there must be SOMEBODY!!!):cool:

Brian, thanks for the update, it's not easy going through chemo. I hope the side effects aren't to severe I recommend a large dose of Summer Wine to help the medicine go down. Keep us posted and your chin up.

For those that have asked.....surely SOMEONE asked?????:08:

I have just had my first chemo therapy by injection (been on chemo before, but just pills, this time pills AND injections)
I don't recommend it as a holiday experience:confused: but definitely gives me respect for others who have had to undergo it, especially children:03::03::03:
Side effects have definitely kicked in but (so-far) nothing really major. Worse than I expected but better than I feared!

Only SIX more months to go! YEHHHHHH:fp: and as they are actually looking at this as a CURE rather than just mitigation I suppose I will just have to harden up and take it!

Thanks to those who have asked. (there must be SOMEBODY!!!):cool:
Hi BJ, I didn't know that you were having chemo. How often do you have it? I sincerely hope that it is successful for you and that you will feel the benefits in the near future.

Thanks for the update Brian I would have rather you didn't have to write it in the first place . I can't imagine what you are going through but hopefully it will not have too great an impact . We all ,I am sure, wish you the best through this most difficult of times and are all rooting for you , stay strong mate and I hope the 6 months fly by , take care . :)

Hello Brian, I was unaware of this and can only second what others have said, hope these 6 months will not be too gruelling and the treatment will prove to be beneficial.

Thanks everyone! I thought I was just updating people but several clearly don't know the full story :08:, so....... NOT for attention, but just to let the curious know what is going on.

At the beginning of 2016 I had an operation to remove part of my large bowel, due to Bowel Cancer. After that I went on 6 mths of Chemo...but only pills (8 per day). Everything looked good but as usual I didn't get any guarantees it wouldn't come back. Was told that if I remained clear for 5 years they would determine that THAT particular cancer was cured.

2017 I visited Britain, got kidnapped by Terry and as he probably remembers I kept dashing off to the "loo" in a rush and making the comment "don't get bowel cancer!" But basically I was OK and those rushes decreased with time.

Between then and this year I was getting regular blood tests and CAT scans and everything was looking basically alright.
Early this year, after a scan, a small "spot" on my lung which they had been watching for years suddenly started to grow. After more scans and a biopsy (painful) it was determined that it was cancer and I went in shortly after and had part of the middle right lobe of my lung removed (just on Easter).

They determined that the cancer was the same one as had been in my bowel and obviously some of it had "escaped".
They believe they got it all, but as I still have a couple of other minute spots on the lung, which could be anything but too small to tell, I was referred back to the Oncologist. He says it is entirely possible they have removed all the cancer from my body but they cannot be 100% sure.

He gave me a couple of choices...basically do nothing, reset the 5 yr clock and just monitor. OR I could go back on the chemo pills again (which I suspected may happen) but with a twist....he would not just do pills as, by themselves, obviously some cancer sneaked past, so I would have to ALSO undertake regular injections of another chemo drug.

It was my choice but as he stressed he was aiming for a permanent (or as close as he could get) CURE rather than just a mitigation and hope situation, I went with that option despite the warned of side-effects.

TODAY was my first treatment in the new regime and I am suffering some of the side effects warned of. Worse that I hoped but better than I feared, and they should fade away after a couple of days until the next injection in 3 weeks.

SO..... I feel like sh*t but should be ok. As I said in the First post here it has given me an insight into what others with much worse situations go through. I knew chemo was no picnic but I am getting a mild first hand taste! Luckily (so far) I have not been sent to radiation treatment as well!!

End of story! No dramas, no sympathy sought (fat chance!:p) I will cough cough..struggle on!:fp: Just letting those who wished to know more, what is happening.

As a present to myself (and to hell with it, it WAS my b/day on the weekend.....no applause please) I bought a new "toy" to take my mind off things. But I won't Drone on about it!:cafe:

Thanks everyone! I thought I was just updating people but several clearly don't know the full story :08:, so....... NOT for attention, but just to let the curious know what is going on.

At the beginning of 2016 I had an operation to remove part of my large bowel, due to Bowel Cancer. After that I went on 6 mths of Chemo...but only pills (8 per day). Everything looked good but as usual I didn't get any guarantees it wouldn't come back. Was told that if I remained clear for 5 years they would determine that THAT particular cancer was cured.

2017 I visited Britain, got kidnapped by Terry and as he probably remembers I kept dashing off to the "loo" in a rush and making the comment "don't get bowel cancer!" But basically I was OK and those rushes decreased with time.

Between then and this year I was getting regular blood tests and CAT scans and everything was looking basically alright.
Early this year, after a scan, a small "spot" on my lung which they had been watching for years suddenly started to grow. After more scans and a biopsy (painful) it was determined that it was cancer and I went in shortly after and had part of the middle right lobe of my lung removed (just on Easter).

They determined that the cancer was the same one as had been in my bowel and obviously some of it had "escaped".
They believe they got it all, but as I still have a couple of other minute spots on the lung, which could be anything but too small to tell, I was referred back to the Oncologist. He says it is entirely possible they have removed all the cancer from my body but they cannot be 100% sure.

He gave me a couple of choices...basically do nothing, reset the 5 yr clock and just monitor. OR I could go back on the chemo pills again (which I suspected may happen) but with a twist....he would not just do pills as, by themselves, obviously some cancer sneaked past, so I would have to ALSO undertake regular injections of another chemo drug.

It was my choice but as he stressed he was aiming for a permanent (or as close as he could get) CURE rather than just a mitigation and hope situation, I went with that option despite the warned of side-effects.

TODAY was my first treatment in the new regime and I am suffering some of the side effects warned of. Worse that I hoped but better than I feared, and they should fade away after a couple of days until the next injection in 3 weeks.

SO..... I feel like sh*t but should be ok. As I said in the First post here it has given me an insight into what others with much worse situations go through. I knew chemo was no picnic but I am getting a mild first hand taste! Luckily (so far) I have not been sent to radiation treatment as well!!

End of story! No dramas, no sympathy sought (fat chance!:p) I will cough cough..struggle on!:fp: Just letting those who wished to know more, what is happening.

As a present to myself (and to hell with it, it WAS my b/day on the weekend.....no applause please) I bought a new "toy" to take my mind off things. But I won't Drone on about it!:cafe:
Don't go anywhere near Heathrow !:39::fp:

Hello Brian,

Thank you for filling in the gaps , onwards and upwards on two fronts , successful completion of the treatment and flying the drone . I assume you have similar strict rules and licences in Oz for flying them and like Terry you will be a responsible user , unlike those dollups who caused all that disruption and haven't an ethical bone in their body . Take care!

Brian, sounds like a belt and braces kinda thing, when it comes to cancer you can't be to careful. I won't bore with the details but I've lost a lot of good people to that so good dicision on your part. Also as Dick said, stay well clear of Heathrow!!

No intention of going near ANY airports. Remember I was a REAL pilot once too! My son and I went out practicing yesterday. We both have the same drone (Mavic Air for those interested) He has had is longer than me so is more practiced than I am. Both flying, sitting alongside each other in the ozzie bush....nothing for miles around and we STILL almost had a mid air collision! :confused2:
He has beautiful footage of my drone coming from below and in front of his and whipping past at about 2 feet!!!! OOOOPS...we both then thought of what our respective wives would say if we had to go home with two smashed drones and agreed discretion was the better part of valour and decided to "cool it" a bit. :)
Had a lot of fun though and didn't disturb anyone else! AND stayed within the rules, just got a little silly at times and KNEW IT! still safe to everyone else.
Pearl, I think we have all lost good people to the "C" :(:(

I think Amazon are hiring drone pilots.

Drone Pilots in every marriage/relationship usually take the form of ear bending and droning on incessantly about outstanding chores/work needed around the family home " When are you going to cut the grass, you promised to put up those shelves three years ago and they are still in the garage ,cost less to hire Claude Monet per hour to paint our bedroom than wait for you to get started " need I say more :eek::08:

Brian I have everything crossed for you that by the end of this treatment you remain clear of this terrible problem, so much so that one day you can make it back over.
I had a mavic air pro for a while and really enjoyed using it, but the rules and regs got so tight because of the usual idiots, it became difficult to find places to fly safely, even more so as I live just a couple of miles from Scampton where the Red Arrows are based, so I sold it on, the guy that bought it mailed me about 6 weeks later telling me he had crashed it and it was beyond repair, a lot of money to loose.

You are a lot more restricted over there where you can fly simply due to geography. Everything is on top of each other and airports are all over the place.
Here we have a lot more room and while I believe the restrictions are similar in both countries we have a lot more room.....doesn't mean we have anything interesting to video, but we can at least get enjoyment out of simply flying the things easier.

Captain....I get those complaints whether I am flying or not, and remember....to date I have only gone out ONCE with my drone.

If I play my cards right, I might be able to play the side effects from the Chemo a bit longer than actually needed and get out of chores that way!!;)

ERRRRR...I am trusting you all to not tell SWMBO.....Or come to think of it...PEARL!!!!:02:

Thanks Adanor

Just had a thought...........Imagine OUR lot with a drone????????????? Alvin would be the owner of course but Hobbo would want it for spying, Howard would be "bird" watching and Auntie would be checking up on Tom!
If Pearl ever got her hands on it..............................................................:13::13::13:

................. Truly would want it for surveillance, Wesley would just dismantle it and all bets are off for what Foggy would do with it . I think we all know what Compo would use it for and it would have a very confined flying space basically up and down outside Nora's kitchen window ;)

Quite late with this, as with nearly everything else lately, but hope your chemo side effects are still bearable so that you're able to enjoy playing with your drone.

Back