Characters that are "REAL" as opposed to being acted.

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
I have got to thinking recently, for some unknown reason, about how much a character can surpass an actor’s own personality.

I am well aware that this is an extremely subjective viewpoint and has nothing to do with the ability of the actor, or of the script, direction etc. etc. but how many characters actually become “real” in your mind?

This can be, but is not necessarily, influenced by how well known an actor is.

An example from MY perception is that of Ronnie Barker. While I think he was brilliant and I enjoyed his performances, with only TWO exceptions he was always Ronnie playing a part to me. The exceptions are his portrayal of Lord Rustless and that of Arkwright.

While he played characters very similar to Lord Rustless in his sketch comedy, when I see “Lord Rustless Presents”, I see LORD RUSTLESS, NOT Ronnie playing the part.

Similarly with Arkright, when I watch “Open All Hours”, I SEE ARKWRIGHT, not Ronnie. Even in Porridge I don’t see Fletcher, I see Ronnie playing Fletcher.

While on the subject of Lord Rustless, David Jason as the gardener is another such performance where David is not present but the 100+ year old gardener is real (even if SURreal at the same time).

In terms of LOTSW there are only a few “characters” (to MY mind) which cross this boundary.

COMPO is definitely one. Although I have seen Bill Owen in several other roles, he is always Bill Owen playing a role but in COMPO I don’t see Bill, I see COMPO!

WESLEY is another such character to me, this could be due to the fact I haven’t seen Gordon in anything else but I always see WESLEY, not an actor playing him.

Auntie Wainright ALMOST makes it but something just stops it from happening with me, even though I have seen Jean in nothing else. (I AM aware of and have seen clips of her in Corrie!).

Only two other characters in LOTSW have this effect on me, Billy Hardcastle and, surprisingly, Hobbo!

I am in no way putting down the brilliant performances of others in “our” show and it doesn’t affect my enjoyment but I thought it strange how some characters can transcend their actors.

I said this is purely a subjective personal viewpoint and am well aware others will have different views, I am just curious as to what others think. Everyone’s personal experiences, knowledge of the actors’ work and their own upbringing will have some effect on perceptions so I throw it open…

Who (if anyone) has this “something” that cements them as real people in your mind, NOT characters being portrayed by actors?

What a fantastic subject.
I have to agree, when I think about it I don't see Bill Owen only Compo or Peter Sallis only Clegg but looking at Foggy I see Brian Wilde playing Foggy, I wonder if that has anything to do with whether we've enjoyed the actor in other rolls? I loved Brian Wilde in Porridge so seeing him play someone differnt may be stopping me from seeing Foggy only Brian! I've only seen Bill and Peter in other rolls after I'd seen them in Summer Wine. If that makes sense.

She was mentioned in another thread but I hadn't seen it so did not register what it was, I got an idea it was possibly a period drama.

She has apparently appeared in Heartbeat and other shows on and off since 1970 .

They include The Bill ,Worzel Gummidge and a P D James mini -series Shroud For A Nightingale.

(Had to put this in two instalments , no edit feature it seems)

Whichever shows Sarah acted in we all know what Dick likes her appearing in ! No answers on a postcard required. In the context of LOTSW I think Stephen Lewis is a prime example because he has played any number of roles but always the same way Blakey , Vince in episode of One Foot in the Grave and of course Smiler .

Whichever shows Sarah acted in we all know what Dick likes her appearing in ! No answers on a postcard required. In the context of LOTSW I think Stephen Lewis is a prime example because he has played any number of roles but always the same way Blakey , Vince in episode of One Foot in the Grave and of course Smiler .
Truth be told Captain I am not on my own!;)

I'm not aware that Sarah Thomas has ever played in any other show. I could be mistaken here, but She seems to have no presence on IMDB or google, other than as Glenda.
She appeared in a play and Alan Bell was in the audience to see her perform. He was suitably impressed and decided that she would be a good Glenda. She also acted in a children's show.

What a fantastic subject.
I have to agree, when I think about it I don't see Bill Owen only Compo or Peter Sallis only Clegg but looking at Foggy I see Brian Wilde playing Foggy, I wonder if that has anything to do with whether we've enjoyed the actor in other rolls? I loved Brian Wilde in Porridge so seeing him play someone differnt may be stopping me from seeing Foggy only Brian! I've only seen Bill and Peter in other rolls after I'd seen them in Summer Wine. If that makes sense.
In the three episodes after Bill Owen's death, I had the impression that nobody was acting, it was probably very difficult to get through these episodes.

Gordon Wharmley was a handyman by trade and so all of his tinkering, looking at home in the boiler suit, and indeed popping out of his shed with his cap on fire was second nature. And indeed, when he had to do scenes with Thora Hird, perhaps having to always be at odds with her was not acting in a sense.

Shared responsibility just infers it takes you know who longer to impose chastisement and punishment :eek::13:

Always the chance that some one may forget if there are more than one person for the whip - which does not appear on this selection of images - :41::41: - of yes it does just noticed - :46::46::46:

Back