Cast That Had The 'Yourksheer' Accent

J

John

I don't think all of them had it, in fact, only a several had it I think..

Compo
Billy Hardcastle
Howard
Blamire
Sid
Barry
Wally

Sorry if I have missed off some, thats all I can remember for the moment.

Don't think..
Clegg
Truly
Foggy

Had the accent..

Compo's only came later after about six series. Wesley would be cross to be left off. Gordon Wharmby was a 'professional' Yorkshire man, he could see no good in anything outside his own county.

sorry...

Now added
Rhi's Boyfriend
Tony Capstick
Gordon Wharmby

i'd have to include edie pegden, although a lancashire lass her yorkshire accent is superb when she isnt trying to impress people and is down to earth with wesley....when she calls him from the kitchen door and shouts wesleah, wesleah, no response and it changes to wesli pegden get yself in ere....priceless...

i'd have to include edie pegden, although a lancashire lass her yorkshire accent is superb when she isnt trying to impress people and is down to earth with wesley....when she calls him from the kitchen door and shouts wesleah, wesleah, no response and it changes to wesli pegden get yself in ere....priceless...

Sorry to say this, but I can't tell the difference between Lancashire, Yorkshire, and even Derbyshire. They all sound the same. Counties that border each other all have the same trouble, they mingle!

Sorry to say this, but I can't tell the difference between Lancashire, Yorkshire, and even Derbyshire. They all sound the same. Counties that border each other all have the same trouble, they mingle!

And, of course, in each of the three counties the accent (and dialect) varies from place to place. Here in the Kingdom of Fife, a relatively small area, the accent varies dramatically from place to place and over very small distances.

Same here in North Wales, Caernarfon, Bangor and Holyhead, all within a 30 mile radius, have different accents.

G ; )

i think thats the same wherever you go, as far as yorkshire and lancashire are concerned though i can spot some subtle differences in the way certain words are pronounced.....one example would be the word "there" very much as it reads in yorkshire but often pronounced "ther" as in fur in lancs.

And, of course, in each of the three counties the accent (and dialect) varies from place to place. Here in the Kingdom of Fife, a relatively small area, the accent varies dramatically from place to place and over very small distances.

The accent and the dialect and words could change between Leeds and Bradford - ten miles apart.

Accents aren't always easy to do. I think that when Marina did a small part in Corrie and when the barmaid who was in Eastenders tried to change their accents the audience didn't really approve of them.

Accents aren't always easy to do. I think that when Marina did a small part in Corrie and when the barmaid who was in Eastenders tried to change their accents the audience didn't really approve of them.

Accents are so very difficult and if they are not produced absolutely right they are seen as false by the audience or viewing public. If it cannot be hit spot on it may be better not to attempt it. There is nothing an audience despises more than falseness.

I suppose an example might be Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. But then I do always question why film makers bring in Americans to play British parts.

An aside whilst on the subject - how come singers, particularly some so called pop "stars", can sing in virtually perfect English but when they start talking it can sound appalling?

Dick Van Dyke was dreadful, but I think the reasons for most American actors being brought in to play British parts was the fault of the producers who were scared that films would not sell in America as the public did not know the names of many Brits. I think things are different now, as this forum tells us.

Accents in Yorkshire vary ,people in Doncaster sound different to people in Bradford and if you go to the dales its totaly different.We used to have a Bucks accent but its been diluted by incomers from London and awful teaching with no regard to pronounciation ie Standard Estuary English so beloved by trendy idiots.

Dick Van Dyke was dreadful, but I think the reasons for most American actors being brought in to play British parts was the fault of the producers who were scared that films would not sell in America as the public did not know the names of many Brits. I think things are different now, as this forum tells us.

As I am from Across the Pond, does everyone agree that other than the accent, did Dick Van Dyke do (or not) do a good job?

As I am from Across the Pond, does everyone agree that other than the accent, did Dick Van Dyke do (or not) do a good job?

I like Dick Van Dyke a lot and yes he was fine in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but he would have done better to have used his own'voice'.

Back