Can you name an episode where???

With 1 of Ivy's buns in each ear....stuck under his green wooly hat.....and a pair of milk bottle bottom thick glasses Clegg was spot on when he said that our scruffy hero could be Japanese....a kung fu kicking kamakazi loony.......[he scared Nora with his Bruce Lee impression in the cafe !!!!!]

With 1 of Ivy's buns in each ear....stuck under his green wooly hat.....and a pair of milk bottle bottom thick glasses Clegg was spot on when he said that our scruffy hero could be Japanese....a kung fu kicking kamakazi loony.......[he scared Nora with his Bruce Lee impression in the cafe !!!!!]
Which episode was that?

In the episode 'Is Jeremy Quite Safe?', The Hon. Jeremy Dwyer-Brown talks about the jet setters playground in the Riviera, including Monaco and Nice. That is my submission.

But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that every time Nora and Ivy talk about Mallorca, in several episodes, they mis-pronounce it as "maJorca" with a hard J. I chuckle every time I hear it. I've never been there myself , but can only envision it as a sin city frequented by wayward husbands gallivanting with "the other woman". Its a bit flash!

I didn't really see her as xenophobic more set in her ways and not comfortable outside her surroundings, they thought Manchester was a foreign land and that's only a few miles away. Australia was a another plant to them.

I didn't really see her as xenophobic more set in her ways and not comfortable outside her surroundings, they thought Manchester was a foreign land and that's only a few miles away. Australia was a another plant to them.
I think her stance softened as the series went on, she certainly wasn't a fan of foreign places or their people in early episodes maybe xenophobic was a bit harsh on her, but certainly parochial :)

In Full Steam Behind, Clegg said his Uncle Arthur was going to South Africa to make his fortune but he got as far as Southampton and was knocked down by a tram. He ended up marrying the driver's sister.

Thank you Barrychuckle and all who commented. Tangentially, I have to say that the way the writer retired Nora to Australia to care for her sister was an elegant way of keeping Nora in the show when she unfortunately could never return. She was a prime mover in the show and could not just disappear without explanation or ceremony. Putting her Sister Stella into Nora's digs and having Stella report out on Nora at coffee mornings, wiping down the banisters, discussing Nora with Alvin, etc. kept Nora in the audience's mind and in the show. The real question is whether Nora brought bleach with her on the plane!

In 'Of fish and Funerals', the neighbor Gloria, who was immigrating to Australia, pointed out to Nora that they don't scrub the steps in Australia. I wonder how Nora adapted to unclean steps. I bet she went out and scrubbed them anyway, in defiance of their local mucky habits!

The only other circumstantial character retirement I can remember was in 'The Man from Oswestry' when Clegg read Blamire's letter explaining that Blamire was now under the "skillful ministrations of a certain Lady", and introducing Foggy into the mix. A newly married man would no longer be a fit with the trio. Anyone could see that. It was a fait accompli in a few minutes of airtime with no rough edges left behind. Nicely done!

Captain Clutterbuck, you're right! I suppose you could say the same for Seymour, who left to assume a teaching post which would require him to fill in for Headmaster. To his chagrin, he could no longer whip small boys.

In 'Of fish and Funerals', the neighbor Gloria, who was immigrating to Australia, pointed out to Nora that they don't scrub the steps in Australia. I wonder how Nora adapted to unclean steps. I bet she went out and scrubbed them anyway, in defiance of their local mucky habits!
Probably the Australians didn't have to scour their steps because the air was clean. The steps didn't get sooty, so the soot wasn't tracked into the house. In Holmfirth, with all of those mills fueled by coal, the air must have been filthy!

Nora was such a creature of habit, you know: "Tuesdays you bake", my little flight of fantasy suggested that if there were steps, Nora would have scrubbed them whether they needed it or not.

Here's another one: In the episode 'Afterthoughts of a Coop Manager', Alvin explained to Marina that after her former favorite Ronald Pillsworth moved to Australia, married and divorced; he then went out to learn the local customs, "drinking and gambling".

In spite of the creepy crawlies, amphibians, gambling and drinking, Australia had clean air!

Back