Blamire’s badges

Mrs blamire (i wish)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I noticed foggy wears a royal engineer cap badge? (I’m rewatching the episode the great boarding house caper, literally one of my fav episodes) and I think blamire sometimes wore some badges, does anyone know what they’re for? I’m guessing it’s something army related

Attachments

• 25D430DA-3439-428A-8DB5-94D1EAC21D44.jpeg
    25D430DA-3439-428A-8DB5-94D1EAC21D44.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 20
By pure chance, I happen to know a little bit about the Signal Corps......well the Royal Australian Corps of Signals specifically. A good mate of mine was in Signals in Vietnam and later became the President of the West Australian branch of the R.A. Signals Association. Several years ago I undertook some historical research for him and the Association into a pre-WW1 Militia Signals unit and traced numerous of its members through WW1. The sheer number of high gallantry awards given to those members is astonishing, but when you read what they actually DID it is astonishing there were not more.

In 'Hail Smiling Morn Or Thereabouts' Blamire says he won an award in the 14th Field Signals Regimental Camera Club. In 'Ballad For Wind Instruments And Canoe' Blamire was bragging about doing some real fighting during the war and Compo replies "What, Royal chuffing Signals?"
Blamire responds, "Chindits", and Compo, quite rightly, shuts up about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chindits. I read in an article published in the journal of the Nuneaton Family History Society that they were recruited from many service branches.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I'm sure I remember Blamire wearing a patch on his blazer that looked uncannily like one of the hawkmoth caterpillars. Has anyone else noticed this.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I'm sure I remember Blamire wearing a patch on his blazer that looked uncannily like one of the hawkmoth caterpillars. Has anyone else noticed this.

Actually, forget that one -- I was having a senior moment. Lol I've just remembered that where I actually noticed it was on Jimmy"s blazer in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Apologies. :rolleyes:

Back