Bicycle Bonanza.

Blue summer

Dedicated Member
Just been watching Bicycle bonanza and noticed that as the trio ride into a farmyard, after "hiring" the bikes off Aunty Wainright, Clegg gets off his bike and starts messing with it, whilst Compo and Foggy are chatting.

Foggy then says "c`mon Clegg" and Cleggy waves, with his back to "us", then rides off after the other two...but i don't think any of the above was actually done by Clegg, it just doesn't look like him, plus his mannerisms are all wrong, he looks like he's trying to hide from the camera.

Anyone else noticed this?

G ; )

Oh yes, it´s not Peter, but the other two are not Bill Owen an Brian Wilde either if you look closely when they arrive there, in fact as soon as you can see them on bikes, it´s not them at all (have seen the episode quite a few times, almost like the old days with the trio). The stand-ins are very good, but you can´t copy a person´s way to move exactly and you can also tell from other signs, especially with Foggy. His stand-in is sturdier, especially his legs, and they always get his hair and cap wrong from behind, too much hair shows under the cap. It´s not nice of me to pay attention to these things, but I can´t help it once I have started noticing something is wrong.

Yes as **** says it isn't Peter in that scene, very obvious I thought as with Brian and Bill. It always bothered me when I realised it wasn't our beloved actors in these sort of scenes especially when an episode came to an end and they used the stand ins for long distance shots, it really spoilt the ending I thought, I always loved it when it was our trio and they kept the camera on them for a long time as the music played and the credits rolled as they wandererd off into the distance with Compo fooling around throwing his arm around Cleggy or teasing the third man, always loved that!! :D

Yep, I noticed it wasn't Mr Sallis the first time I saw that episode years ago. Out of all the episodes made, I think that scene is one of the most obvious of a stand-in being used.

Anyone know the reason why they would do this?
My immediate thoughts are that due to filming schedules, the trio would be in the studios filming inside shots, so rather than have to get them up to Holmfirth etc, they would use the stand-in's, maybe it could even be due to costings?

G ; )

I was watching a later episode "How to remove a Cousin", at the start they are walking across the fields,with Cleggy far right,I don't think this is Mr Sallis,if you watch he moves off screen to far right,then the real cleggy is there sitting on the wall, it was about the time Mr Sallis had walking problems

Yep, I noticed it wasn't Mr Sallis the first time I saw that episode years ago. Out of all the episodes made, I think that scene is one of the most obvious of a stand-in being used.

The stand-in for Foggy always has more white hair showing below his cap than Brian did,and in one episode where' Foggy' gets thrown off Wesley's all terrain vehicle into the water, the real Foggy stands up dry as a bone!It must be to do with possible insurance claims that they use the stand-ins. ;)

I've just noticed in "The flag and it's snag", when compo and clegg are trying to catch the two mules, stand-in's are being used there as well...although i'm hardly surprised, ouch!

G ; )

In the episode "Watching the Clock" about 5 minutes into the episode,five of the ladies arrive in a green car outside Auntie's,3 of these ladies are stand-in's,can you work out which 3 it is, I only know as I was there when they filmed it,of course once they enter the shop (in the studio) it is no longer stand-in's.

One or two other obvious stunt double moments were Full Steam behind when they are getting on the moving Loco and Wheelies, when on that go-cart track.The other one that springs to mind is Treasure of the Deep when Compo is standing on the edge of the bridge.I tend to assume now that whenever the character in question hides his/her face behind thier upper arms and so on..its a double! :) ;D.
Although some of the stunts look quite simple and straight forward i would imagine a lot has to do with the high costs involved insuring the actors.There are most likely clauses in those insurance contracts that prohibit the actors doing anything that may cause even a very minor injury.There is also the possibility of filming schedules and what not being badly disrupted due to one of them injuring themselves so i would imagine the powers that be at the Beeb would also advise caution.Having said all that,i could be wrong or,"i could be lieing" :) ;D

Hector.

Don't recall ep title right now, but the one where Foggy is sitting on the gate, the other two standing. Compo unties the gate rope, gate swings back and Foggy falls backwards.
Whoever the standin guy is on that one had to have been hurt. Next time you watch, notice how he falls on top of his head with all that body weight smashing down too. Geez,, that had to hurt, I cringe every time I see that.

Don't recall ep title right now, but the one where Foggy is sitting on the gate, the other two standing. Compo unties the gate rope, gate swings back and Foggy falls backwards.
Whoever the standin guy is on that one had to have been hurt. Next time you watch, notice how he falls on top of his head with all that body weight smashing down too. Geez,, that had to hurt, I cringe every time I see that.

that episode was "Catching Digby's Donkey"

Back