Bacon Buddies

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
OK, this is my weekly Yankee moment trying to learn something new. It was mentioned a few times in Summer Wine and at least once in Keeping Up Appearances. What are Bacon Buddies? Being that Americans love bacon so much, I am surprised it hasn't made it over to the states, or at least my part of the states.

Am I spelling it right?

I know I can just look it up in Wikipedia but like the comradery of asking such questions here. I know Barmpot enjoys these cultural exchanges!

Bacon BUTTIES mate. BUTTIES. It is an English term for Sandwich.

I''m not sure of the historical derivation, but a 'BUTTY' is a sandwich. Possibly something that you put Butter on?

The first time I heard the word butty was when Ken Dodd would mention the jam buttie mines.

The first time I heard the word butty was when Ken Dodd would mention the jam buttie mines.

Yeah, I think it could well be a Liverpool term George. I grew up calling a Sandwich a 'Butty'.

I ALSO REMEMBER GEORGE, IT AS A COALMINING TERM POSSIBLY SOMETHING TO DO WITH A DEPUTY'S ASSISTANT. I'M SURE SOME ONE WILL TELL ME IF I AM RIGHT OR WRONG. ???

Yeah, it could be a working mans term Dick, that would make more sense than it being a regional description. It seems a bit odd it being a Liverpool term if it is used in other areas in the North.

wiki sez:

A bacon sandwich (also known in the United Kingdom and Ireland as a bacon sarnie or bacon butty, and as a bacon sanger or piece 'n bacon in Scotland) is a sandwich of cooked bacon, often including ketchup or brown sauce, and usually served hot.

wiki sez:

A bacon sandwich (also known in the United Kingdom and Ireland as a bacon sarnie or bacon butty, and as a bacon sanger or piece 'n bacon in Scotland) is a sandwich of cooked bacon, often including ketchup or brown sauce, and usually served hot.

Yeah, that is about right, A 'sarnie' or 'butty' means Sandwich.

Yeah, it could be a working mans term Dick, that would make more sense than it being a regional description. It seems a bit odd it being a Liverpool term if it is used in other areas in the North.

I would agre with that, general use across the north. I first came across it when I came to Leeds in the mid 19670s from the wilds of Wiltshire, and of coure there is a chip butty.

I always heard about Sarnies and Butties but I am curious now. In what parts of Britain are these words used?? Example is Sarnie used in the north or south?

I think in Britain brown sauce is more popular than Ketchup.

I ALSO REMEMBER GEORGE, IT AS A COALMINING TERM POSSIBLY SOMETHING TO DO WITH A DEPUTY'S ASSISTANT. I'M SURE SOME ONE WILL TELL ME IF I AM RIGHT OR WRONG. ???
:eek: MORE RESEARCH ROB. THE "BUTTY" SYSTEM IN COALMINING PRECEDED NATIONALISATION, THE AGENT OR "BUTTY" ARRANGED WITH THE OWNERS TO GET THE COAL AND AGREED A PRICE FOR IT. HE WOULD THEN HIRE HIS MEN TO DO THE WORK AND PAY THEM FROM WHAT THE OWNERS PAID HIM, KEEPING SO MUCH FOR HIMSELF OF COURSE.AFTER NATIONALISATION THERE WAS NO CALL FOR IT BUT THE TERM STAYED ON FOR A WHILE AS ANOTHER NAME FOR THE DEPUTY OR HIS ASSISTANT.

wiki sez:

I query from where Wiki gets its Scottish information. I have never heard "sanger" used in Scotland. From what I have researched it is Australian. I also have never heard a bacon sandwich being referred to as "piece 'n bacon". A "bacon piece" is what I would expect. Mind, the term "piece" is far from restricted to sandwiches. It is more a collective term for lunch box though typically it would be some form of sandwiches.

Other queries that have been raised:
Tomato ketchup and Brown sauce - certainly a few years back brown sauce predominated (particularly HP) but among the younger generations ketchup is taking over.

North and South: I suppose "butty" is predominantly North but "sarnie" gets used throughout.

There is the STOTTY bun up here in the north east, george will know all about these. The stotty is a sort of flattish round bun.

Yes, and in Yorkshire they are bread cakes or tea cakes, depending on where you are from (different in Bradford from Leeds originally).

However a bread cake can be a plain one, then with currants it is a tea cake
but a tea cake can be plain then with currants a currant tea cake!!

I got it wrong when I first moved to Yorkshire in the mid 1970s ...

Back