Assistance required on IT front

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
I have Firefox on my Apple MAc and I have noticed that spelling corrections does not work on it. Would it work on Safari?

Only ask as it takes an awfully long time to correct my awful typing and I have a distinct problem that often I transpose two characters - effectively hitting the key with the left hand before the key with the right hand in stead of the other way round. (What I originally typed below - which was better than usual!)

Only ask as it takes an awfully long time to correct my awful typign and I have a distinct pronlem that often I transpose two characters - effectiveily hitting the key with the left hand before the key with the right hand in stead of the other way round.

Safari spell checking does seem a little more intelligent, and more forthcoming, but as Terry says if you have the English dictionary installed then that should work ok.

p.s. I too only use a Mac :)

Have you installed the UK dictionary into firefox
Can not see any option to do that Terry: am I missing something?

Will try it out with this site on the Safari option - the reason I have to have Firefox is because one of my organisations I am involved with has a gmail account that seems to not work too well on Safari. At present I access this site through the Firefox but the lack of spell check is annoying - not because I can not spell but because I can not type!

Barmpot ,

From Mozilla Firefox site hope this helps

Adding dictionaries
You can install other dictionaries as necessary.

1. Right-click in any text box containing more than one line.
  2. Select Languages.
  3. Select Add dictionaries....
    05675f3d603e2607555817580ba1c0c2-1271792700-577-4.png
  4. The Dictionaries & Language Packs is displayed. Find a language on the list and click the "Install Dictionary" link next to it.
  5. Click the Add to Firefox button on the page that opens. When the warning panel appears, click Install to allow the installation.
    2015-08-18-02-09-15-0c63e1.png
  6. Click the Restart Now button if prompted.

"Right-click in any text box containing more than one line."
The Firefox instructions need an addendum. "Right-click in any text box in which you are currently typing and which contains more than one line."

For me, in the States, the English (US) option appears automatically, but if the English (British) option doesn't automatically appear for you, scroll down to the English options and select it.

Thank you for your mesages, am trying it out now, but having to first enter some text into a text box to get it to work. So far the right click has not doen anything but now onto second line might work..

Well have added the dictionary

Barmpot, to be honest if it wasn't for spell check my post would be even more legible than they are now. I feel your pain.

Just keep the internet open and copy all misspelled words into search and look up the correct spelling.

In Firefox open "Preferences", then click on the "Content" button (in the left menu) then in the dialogue that opens click on the Languages "Choose" button.
Install languages from there.

Well have followed all yhr advicer and it is still not underlinign the wrongly h spelt - or tarther rwrongly tped - wpords/

Anyone like to brush up my stenography?

Back