Arnold Street

It's the episode where Foggy thinks the lad with the curly hair may be a "target"........
The young scallywag says....."I LIVE IN ARNOLD STREET"...I know...I am sad aren't I.

Hi Pearl, a total shot in the dark but could it be the street where Roy made his 1st arrest when he was a policeman?

I would think that they are just fictional. There's a Cooper lane in the centre of Holmfirth and an Arnold St in Huddersfield . I doubt Roy would want to insult real street residents.

I think Graham may have a valid point......
Roy obviously had a soft spot for the "cooper" theme because we cannot forget our wonderful boys in blue COOPER and Walsh !!!!.....
As Graham suggested,maybe Roy turned the tables and made his first criminal arrested as a policeman THE POLICEMAN in our wonderful series !!!.

Roy had been a real police officer and I'm sure he got a lot of ideas fom what he saw on the beat & used them in his characters.

As an aside a Policeman is the star of an episode on Ever Decreasing Circles which I watched last night . Martin is in charge of the neighborhood watch which of course goes totally awry only for Paul to save the day . At the start Martin is told by Paul that Policeman's helmet is that shape because they keep their sandwiches under their. Martin thinks its a usual Paul wind up . At the end after Paul saves the day Martin laughingly asks the Sergeant as he is leaving about the sandwiches and helmet he replies " It's true Mr Bryce Tuesday today it'll be Cheese and Pickle " Martin is agog and queue closing credits. I know the show isn't everyone's cup of tea but there must be thousands of Martin and Paul's out there and I have worked for at least two Martin's during my career [thankfully not for long] pedantic to the nth degree.

In Open All Hours wasn't it on Cooper St. that Granville took half a packet of streaky bacon? Where he damaged his bike's front spindle when he dropped it as the lady there pulled him through the doorway.

I would think that they are just fictional. There's a Cooper lane in the centre of Holmfirth and an Arnold St in Huddersfield . I doubt Roy would want to insult real street residents.

I can understand that. Roy and Alan Bell wouldn't want to upset anyone.

Roy had been a real police officer and I'm sure he got a lot of ideas fom what he saw on the beat & used them in his characters.
OK, this explains the police officers and how they plotted to avoid work and enjoy their impromptu cookouts.

In Open All House episode The Mysterious Boudoir of Nurse Gladys Granville "holds up " the Milk Lady and says she will be held captive in Arnold Road [again Arnold comes up] where she will be exchanged for the release of 10 British Errand Boys. :)

Back