Are you a Yankee? You might be and not even know it.

Onslow

Dedicated Member
From American writer E.B. White.

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

Maple bacon breakfast pie.

Seems a bit of work. I'd be happy enough with the bacon drizzled with maple syrup. :D

At first I was thinking pie as in apple pie or pecan pie and knew that could not be right. Wow, talk about a rich breakfast. Willing to give it a try though!

That is actually a quiche, looks good though.
Growing up in St. Louis Mo I am a Midwesterner, but I lived in South Carolina for a year and was constantly called a Yankee (not in a friendly way) and told not to talk so fast.

The dictionary says that Yank is a derogatory term used by the English, Canadians, and Australians. That may be so at times, but I think it's just become a generic term for American. As rude and brash as our reputation is, some Americans are very quick to assume insult themselves. (I blame school environments that employ embarrassment to enforce conformity) The dictionary also says we use the term for New Englanders, however, in the South where there are pockets where you might easily be convinced that news of the end of the Civil War had not yet reached, the word is a bitter term for anyone North of the Mason Dixon line. Even though Oklahoma was mostly Indian Territory during the Civil War, they fought on the side of the Confederacy, so her interpretation of the word Yank probably carried a whole range of meaning other than what you meant.

In addition to all of the other North-South problems, Northerners and Southerners pretty much can't understand one another's speech. We Northerners speak too quickly and clip words off short, and Southerners sound to us as though they're including all of the vowels in every syllable.

Speaking of accents, one of the pastors in my church has crossed the Pond, but originally hails from somewhere in or around London and speaks exactly like someone from the BBC News. His accent is most riveting.

Maple bacon breakfast pie.

Seems a bit of work. I'd be happy enough with the bacon drizzled with maple syrup. :D

At first I was thinking pie as in apple pie or pecan pie and knew that could not be right. Wow, talk about a rich breakfast. Willing to give it a try though!
Brown sauce or nothing for me on my bacon!! ;)

They do car air fresheners also, you could have one hanging from your rear view mirror to make the Herald smell divine!

Be a bit of a battle with the roof down car air freshener vs good old Yorkshire Country air . Look what happened to poor Barry wind in his air riding on the hammond organ in his white suit and then splat well and truly covered in Yorkshire Air Freshener. It brings tears to your eyes well certainly Glenda and Edie's . :cry2:

That's the same colour as Roland Rat's Rat Mobile!

cd479620-31aa-4e26-8b39-0638e55e2d0d-2060x1236.jpeg

Back