Another puzzle for us ????......regarding Corporal Dewhurst....

MoodyBlue

Dedicated Member
We are told by Cleggy in the cafe via Cyril's letter that our hero is returning to the empty house in our favourite village.....HOWEVER....by the time Foggy had reignited his love of "GOFF"....oops...sorry...I mean "GOLF"..he is residing in a house with......A LAND LADY !!!!!.......he mentions it just before Compo is attacked by the dreaded Yorkshire wardrobe spider !!!!......
Knowing how "tight"....I mean "careful" he is with money maybe the house prices had rocketed...and he made a fast buck,and rented a room in one of the more select areas in Holmfirth !!!.......Or....did he prefer to live in a shared house...with a nice lady.....and dream about what could have been with " Gillian" ???????.
x!

I think that those earlier episodes of series 3 were written for Michael bates as blamire because blamire rented from a landlady and with bates quick departure to ill health the scripts wernt altered and more suited to Brian wilde as foggy

I think that those earlier episodes of series 3 were written for Michael bates as blamire because blamire rented from a landlady and with bates quick departure to ill health the scripts wernt altered and more suited to Brian wilde as foggy

Yes, this is what happened. Andrew Vine's book makes that clear. Series 3 was all written and ready to go with Michael Bates as Blamire but he couldn't do it so they brought in Foggy. Its clear most of the episodes in that series were just quick swaps of names and a few added scenes consistent with Clarke's early draft ideas about Foggy, filmed before "The Man from Oswestry" was written. I guess they figured the big inconsistency in Foggy's housing situation would not be noticed. Foggy having his own house from then on is pretty consistent and we never hear of him having a landlady again.

Yes, this is what happened. Andrew Vine's book makes that clear. Series 3 was all written and ready to go with Michael Bates as Blamire but he couldn't do it so they brought in Foggy. Its clear most of the episodes in that series were just quick swaps of names and a few added scenes consistent with Clarke's early draft ideas about Foggy, filmed before "The Man from Oswestry" was written. I guess they figured the big inconsistency in Foggy's housing situation would not be noticed. Foggy having his own house from then on is pretty consistent and we never hear of him having a landlady again.
In "The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper," the script called for Blamire to go dashing into the ocean. Michael Bates was ill and he knew that he couldn't do that and so he had to exit the show. Thus Blamire suddenly left and Foggy just as suddenly showed up. The device of Blamire sending a letter was great way to quickly effect this change of characters.

Yes, regarding the inconsistency in the housing situation, I don't think Roy Clarke imagined people would be dissecting the show like this 45 years later. :D

Back