A Murder is Announced.

Douglas Enwright

Dedicated Member
I went to the Cast theatre in Doncaster once,and ever since I keep getting promotional emails announcing their new shows,I usually just discard them straight away.
Got one this morning and something caught my eye,Agatha Christie’s A Murder is Announced from the 1st to the 5th of March,STARRING SARAH THOMAS OF LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE AS MISS MARPLE,
Doesn’t she make a fine Miss Marple,looks so well for 69 and so pleased to see her acting and touring,I might even hang around the stage door to say hello
F0E64F54-BE2F-4BF7-A493-982465341605.jpegC6E1FEDF-DD97-4482-8422-9E3A62064306.jpegF901E749-42FF-4A74-8C84-7A86B86A3833.jpeg

Well what a nice present for the New Year wish I lived that way, love Agatha Christie have all her books on my Kindle still ploughing through them . I agree Sarah looks really well and is a great fit for Miss Marple [picked up some tips on being a detective from Truly but not so many from Cooper and Walsh :)) . It seems to have been shown at many places and there are still a few after Doncaster sadly none "Up far North :( "

Last edited:
Thanks I'll need to look out for this myself, very keen to see it as a regular theatre goer! I went to see The Play What I Wrote last night, the Morecombe & Wise inspired play. Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but I found it it a miss rather than a hit?

I’ll be going Barry,it sounds an interesting play and our Glenda in the lead role makes it too good to miss.
I haven’t seen The play wot I wrote,but would have done if I had known of it,I went to see a one man play in York called Morecambe,with Bob Golding,which was ok,and have seen Eric and Ern with Jonty Stephens and Ian Ashpitel paying the two of them doing all their famous routines and they were just like them,they were brilliant,the audience were equally in tears and splitting their sides,do see them if you get chance.
The Cast at Doncaster is a new theatre,all glass and steel,unlike some of the old Edwardian theatres with their golden cherubs,and have only been the once,but will definnately go again to see this,really only because Sarah is in it.

Had to sit through this programme ,on the telly ,quite a lot when my late wife was alive . She loved JOAN HICKSON as Miss Marple..I wish I could get to see Sarah as Miss Marple . I'm sure my wife would have loved it.I cannot go because of old age and illness. Maybe it will be on telly quite soon.:42:

The Cast at Doncaster is a new theatre,all glass and steel,unlike some of the old Edwardian theatres with their golden cherubs,

Fascinated with theatres been inside loads, especially those architected by Frank Matcham, just to look around . I have been on loads of Coach trips in the UK and if the city or town has a theatre I always try to gain entry for a look around, often people are more than happy for you to go in as you are showing an interest . One that has alluded me so far however, is the Teatro Principal in Alicante.

Last time I tried I walked around the whole outside looking for an open door but there were none so I had no choice but to go to the stage door and press the intercom . In my best broken Spanish I asked "Habla Englais" the answer came back "No" I was crestfallen and so the quest continues , I am there in June with friends so will try again.

That sounds great, Chuffer. Would be nice to see Sarah Thomas on stage as Miss Marple. Makes me wish I was in country to do such things. If I was I would swing by and get ya Dick and any others on here that wanted to go see the show. If only I had Elon Musk's finances I would rent the theater out for a day or two and bring all us Summer Wine forum fans in to watch. Then we all could wander about Holmfirth for a few days as well. :21:

Well,off I went to Doncaster today really excited to see our Glenda in A Murder is Announced.
The theatre is lovely,it’s very modern and clean with a relaxing spacious bar and cafe area where I had a pint before the show.
Inside the theatre was beautiful,and the seats were comfy with lots of leg room,the set and lighting and music was just brilliant.
And here’s the BUT,I don’t know how many people in the theatre were Summer Wine fans,and I don’t know how many were there because they were Agatha Christie fans,but it was a huge BUT for me,I was crestfallen,it wouldn’t be an overstatement to say heartbroken.
In my seat,all ready,lights down,curtains start to move,and then an announcement…
”In this showing the part of Miss Marple will be played by the understudy”
Now there was no prior warning at all about this,so I just hope Sarah wasn’t taken ill at the last minute,that’s my only concern,that she’s alright.
If it was that Sarah couldn manage an afternoon and night show in the same day I’m not sure,but if so we were only told literally one second before the play started,there were no other notices up or anything,so all that matters is that Sarah is well and continues to play her part in this fab play.
The play itself was wonderful,and brilliantly acted,and the understudy was a magnificent Miss Marple,but how I would have loved to see our Glenda playing the part.
Chuffer x
73A592A0-6AE0-4731-A05C-515F3C05C55F.jpeg8D4C31FB-8CC5-4ACB-8A39-4D8ACBB7F94D.jpeg

How sad, what a terrible disappointment for you. I'm glad the play was enjoyable anyway. Your efforts to report back to the rest of us are appreciated.

I was also tempted to go see the same show because Sarah was in it, I would like you been sadly disappointed to make the effort to get there and she did not appear, I know these things can happen for many reasons, but must of been a disappointment all the same

Oh how disappointing . I know you were really looking forward to going Chuffer . When I opened the post I really felt for you ,a longish journey for a really good play and to see our Glenda in it , all to have it dashed and taken from you at the eleventh hour :( I have to say I fully expected that you may have gone to the Stage Door and asked for a photograph with Sarah which you would have posted here plus maybe you could have explained all about the site and the members who adore the show but sadly it didn't happen.

NB

Re your subsequent post of our Glenda in the Kings Road , fortunately you cannot view the attachment because the impact on Dick and others could be catastrophic . Viewing it would be bad enough for their health but when they undoubtedly post amorous remarks they would face the ultimate wrath of Pearl so lucky escape. ;):)

How sad, what a terrible disappointment for you. I'm glad the play was enjoyable anyway. Your efforts to report back to the rest of us are appreciated.
Thanks so much Eithne,yes it was a great play with brilliant actors and a great set,but I was only a few feet away from the stage and every time Miss Marple came on I kept wishing it was our Glenda xxx

I was also tempted to go see the same show because Sarah was in it, I would like you been sadly disappointed to make the effort to get there and she did not appear, I know these things can happen for many reasons, but must of been a disappointment all the same
It was Terry,thankyou,still enjoyed the play though,I’ll post if the theatre get back to me,I didn’t complain,in fact I was very complimentary about the production and the theatre.

Oh how disappointing . I know you were really looking forward to going Chuffer . When I opened the post I really felt for you ,a longish journey for a really good play and to see our Glenda in it , all to have it dashed and taken from you at the eleventh hour :( I have to say I fully expected that you may have gone to the Stage Door and asked for a photograph with Sarah which you would have posted here plus maybe you could have explained all about the site and the members who adore the show but sadly it didn't happen.

NB

Re your subsequent post of our Glenda in the Kings Road , fortunately you cannot view the attachment because the impact on Dick and others could be catastrophic . Viewing it would be bad enough for their health but when they undoubtedly post amorous remarks they would face the ultimate wrath of Pearl so lucky escape. ;):)
Thanks captain,that is exactly what I was going to do,in fact I had a few flyers and was going to get a few signed for members on here if they wanted one,if she didn’t mind of course,and a photo with her to post on here,the stage door was very accessible but after the show I was in the bar area having a coffee when the cast came in and were chatting to people,so I would probably have seen here there,yes it was a huge disappointment,thankyou for your kind words.
It’s just as well the photo didn’t load,it’s explosive and I thought about the impact it may have on Dick and others,the site may well have gone down,she looks beautiful in it,with really long hair that she has down.
Thankyou again,
Chuffer x

Nightmare, but at least you got to see the show but I can understand your frustration.
I’ll share a little tale with you.
About 8 years ago we went to a festival because the Beat were playing. A group I have seen a fair few times.
In the build up to the evening there was a massive storm and the area was pretty waterlogged but thought nothing of it.
That evening with my daughter we made our way down to the marquee to watch them and I was rather bemused by the lack of activity in the vicinity. I still though nothing more, bought a pint outside and went into a deserted marquee and stood there thinking what’s going on here then.
I was just about to voice my concerns to my daughter when she said turn around and look at the sign pinned to one of the poles…. I can laugh about it now but I was so deflated after looking forwards to the gig for 6 months :)
On the upside I got to see them again at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth later in the year.
3DE52B47-FD6A-405A-9E6D-43DE9B614476.jpeg

Oh no,that’s bad ferret,like you say at least I got to see the show,which was very good.
Glad you got to see them in the end,and what a place to see them !
They have some great bands there,I used to love The Beat too and used to buy their records.

Hi Chuffer, that is disappointing to get there and find out that Sarah was not able to be part of the show. Did you ever find out why? Hope she is alright.

Back