100 years too long to wait for a train.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Good Day to everyone. How is your day going? As you can see from the photographs I am waiting for a train. The only train I have any chance of catching these days is my train of thought, but then, when I do catch it I can't remember why I was chasing it.
The 100-year pics this morning are of Grindleford station in the Peak District. As you can see my clothes became outdated so I had to go home to get changed. It's a long time to wait for a train, 100 years. How many of you still use the trains these days? I believe Captain Clutterbuck said something about catching a train the other day. The fares for travelling on a train these days are ridiculous. One has to call at a Building Society on the way to the station to get a mortgage to pay for the fare.
That's enough of my waffling, hope you all have a nice day.

Attachments

• Grindleford station.jpg
    Grindleford station.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Grindleford station plus 100 years.jpg
    Grindleford station plus 100 years.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 16
I use trains several times a year, more for pleasure trips and visiting friends, mostly along the East coast route, earlier this year I went to Edinburgh from Newark, using a railcard and booking ahead I got there and back 1st class for under £50, and in 1st class they feed and water you for free.

When I lived in West Yorkshire I had a metro card which covered a vast area and it cost very little, on a weekend pass for £6 you could go anywhere on the metro rail network and with the metro card it was something like £2

I believe Captain Clutterbuck said something about catching a train the other day. The fares for travelling on a train these days are ridiculous.

True Peri I did my friends and I had an afternoon out in York for the very reasonable fare of £15 return Newcastle to York and back and that's without railcards .

Nice pictures, Peri. With all the greenery that has grown up around it, hardly looks like the same place.

Did the trains share the center rail through that station? I'm guessing there was a "side track" nearby for a train going the other direction to wait? While the one stopped at the station loaded / unloaded.

Nice pictures, Peri. With all the greenery that has grown up around it, hardly looks like the same place.

Did the trains share the center rail through that station? I'm guessing there was a "side track" nearby for a train going the other direction to wait? While the one stopped at the station loaded / unloaded.

Rick it is just you cannot see the inner track rail on the picture,so it is two separate tracks

Thanks. I see how I was looking at it wrongly now. Makes more sense as two separate tracks.

I much prefer trains to buses but on a long journey the connections can sometimes be a bit hair-raising if you only have a few minutes and have no idea which platform to go to. I must say the staff are always extremely helpful, though.

Back