Where did Ivy cook?

Great pictures, thanks. Hate to admit that I overlooked the changes with the other door in the cafe. I did figure it went upstairs in the Bullock episode.
Looking at the framing from the outside it does look to be more suitable shape for a stairwell (the door to close off the private residence or wherever it would go) unless the back of it extended beyond the the wall it's formed against in the cafe which would be weird, but given the framing changes over the years not really :) But that could explain how Ivy could chase Sid and they not come back during the scene. If they had a continuing argument inside a small open door loo it would have continued to be heard.

In Small Tune on a Penny Wassail, we see where Sid and Ivy live, complete with kitchen. It is not clear whether this accommodation is above (or behind) the cafe itself, or at a completely different address.

I think its supposed to be a different location in that episode based on a few clues. First, Sid mentions to Ivy that her relatives never come "down" (visit/patronize) to the cafe, which doesn't make sense if they are upstairs in the same building or close by. Second, Sid sneaks out and runs into Wally outside he and Nora's house but says he's on his way to Clegg's. As Clegg's was just up the stairs not far from the cafe, there is no reason for Sid to go all the way over to Nora/Wally/Compo's house if he was heading that way. More likely it means that at that point he and Ivy are living elsewhere.

Later on, such as in Getting Sam Home, we are shown them living upstairs from the cafe. We never see Ivy at home after that.

I really don't have any thoughts on this, as I know it is just a set, but I am loving these unique pics. It's fun to see the transitions of the cafe over time.

I think its supposed to be a different location in that episode based on a few clues. First, Sid mentions to Ivy that her relatives never come "down" (visit/patronize) to the cafe, which doesn't make sense if they are upstairs in the same building or close by. Second, Sid sneaks out and runs into Wally outside he and Nora's house but says he's on his way to Clegg's. As Clegg's was just up the stairs not far from the cafe, there is no reason for Sid to go all the way over to Nora/Wally/Compo's house if he was heading that way. More likely it means that at that point he and Ivy are living elsewhere.

Later on, such as in Getting Sam Home, we are shown them living upstairs from the cafe. We never see Ivy at home after that.
We do see Ivy at home again - preparing for Compo's funeral in Just a Small Funeral.

In Small Tune on a Penny Wassail, I don't think Clegg was actually living at the location near the church/cafe.

The continuity of where locations are in real life don't always seem to thought about in the shows - in Spring Fever, Compo is outside the pub near where his house is supposed to be, announces he's going home, and goes off in the wrong direction.

I suppose down at the cafe could mean the cafe downstairs.

There was an episode with a buzzer on the counter to let Sid or Ivy know someone was in the cafe. When Ivy finally came around the guys said they pressed the buzzer and she said she did not hear it. So there has to be more rooms elsewhere on the property. Somewhere outside of the range of Compo's loud mouth - like an upstairs, etc. If she was just in the next room she would have heard them.

Added : Solved part of it, maybe.
Where Clegg wakes up Sid and Ivy to borrow the van in Getting Sam Home around the 35 minute mark. The couple are in an upstairs window when Clegg wakes them. Ivy whispers 'There is somebody at the window' as you see a hand trying to reach up to tap the bottom of the glass. Sid responds with 'Don't talk wet, we're upstairs.' They look out the window and down to see Clegg had fallen off his bike and was laying by some steps, two doors and large paving stones. Sid then exits the front of the cafe to see what Cleggy wants. The living area must be connected to the cafe otherwise Sid would have come out a different door. So they definitely live above the cafe.

Looking at a later part of the episode (42min) the doors and steps Clegg was lying under his bike next to are ground level and to the left of the cafe entrance. The walkway area on side of building. Making Clegg really tall if he is standing on his bike to reach next floor alleyway windows. Which he admits to doing.

Sarkus - Where I'm from when someone talks about people "coming down" to visit them that just mean "coming over". That is not related to compass bearings either.

I really don't have any thoughts on this, as I know it is just a set, but I am loving these unique pics. It's fun to see the transitions of the cafe over time.
I wish I had noted the episode #s as I was gathering them. I was using the slider in VLC media player to quickly scene scroll episodes to find the cafe scenes :)

God you guys are so lucky to be able to pick apart the fine details of the set like this

Here I am stuck watching only the fuzzy, grainy, tiny videos with crap-quality sound which are on YouTube

And for my part, I’m more fascinated not by where she cooked, but by the ridiculous low prices for her teas and cakes

I remember once Cleggy paid for three nice sweet teas and three sweet buns and was charged only forty-two pence!

What a friggin great value, even for the 70’s

Look at the first photo from Tommy.
Although there is no door, look carefully where the poster is on the wall just behind the raised flap of the counter. There seems to be a "secret" panel in the wall. This helps explain the need for a door and why it is often left open.
That little panel is called a "swinger" - when needed it swings open to allow a camera to get a view from behind the counter. Sometimes an entire wall of a set is made to be used as a "swinger" to allow cameras to get alternate views, where there would not normally be enough space for a camera.
So, having a doorway - and leaving the door open - means there is a convenient place for a camera and as it's a doorway it looks natural - rather than having a slightly suspicious panel in the wall... and it can be used as a doorway as well.

There is at least one episode - I'm not at home, so can't say which - where there is apparently a door to upstairs / outside in the kitchen, when there isn't one just behind the counter.

In Getting Sam Home, I bel
God you guys are so lucky to be able to pick apart the fine details of the set like this

Here I am stuck watching only the fuzzy, grainy, tiny videos with crap-quality sound which are on YouTube

And for my part, I’m more fascinated not by where she cooked, but by the ridiculous low prices for her teas and cakes

I remember once Cleggy paid for three nice sweet teas and three sweet buns and was charged only forty-two pence!

What a friggin great value, even for the 70’s
Sort your language out, that man.

I have decent quality of most episodes if there is anything you'd like to see a screenshot of.

The videos on YouTube are so awful they're not worth watching, there's quite a few on Dailymotion which are much better quality I've attached a link of a channel I use to watch these

Oh my god!
Barry I could kiss you!
What a kind and caring thing to do for me
I really do appreciate this
I’ve only been able to watch my bbc shows on YouTube alll my life

I’ve kinda gotten used to the craptastic quality
I’ve never even heard of daily motion before
Thanks ever so much
You have a devoted servant here in Philadelphia if you ever need one
Cheers Barry!

Oh my god!
Barry I could kiss you!
What a kind and caring thing to do for me
I really do appreciate this
I’ve only been able to watch my bbc shows on YouTube alll my life

I’ve kinda gotten used to the craptastic quality
I’ve never even heard of daily motion before
Thanks ever so much
You have a devoted servant here in Philadelphia if you ever need one
Cheers Barry!
My pleasure Eli glad to help a fellow Summer Wino!

Pretty much every episode from s1 to s s20 is on there, I'm no IT expert, but if you Google the episode you want to watch by name and add 'Dailymotion' after it you should find the vast majority. Even the specials are there.

Let us know how you get on and thank you for your kind comments, I'll trade the kiss for one of your sticky buns if I'm ever over that side of the pond :p
:p:p

if you Google the episode you want to watch by name and add 'Dailymotion' after it you should find the vast majority
That's definitely the thing with Daily Motion, they seem to have all the "good" stuff hidden from their own search and using an outside search engine is a must. To further your tip, instead of adding Dailymotion to the search add site:dailymotion.com and that will make sure it only displays links actually from Daily Motion's site. Also if you don't find an episode by name try it by episode number in the format of S01E01.

Last edited:
The videos on YouTube are so awful they're not worth watching, there's quite a few on Dailymotion which are much better quality I've attached a link of a channel I use to watch these

The whole series is available at Hurawatch and Best Series but make sure you are using an adblocker on your browser, the video hosts they link to pop ads, and pretty persistent. (I use uBlock Origin browser extension, it takes care of all of that :) )

Last edited:
I had the wrong alley beside the cafe in mind when talking about Getting Sam Home in my earlier post above. Apologies. There are no windows on the cafe wall walkway.

Liana's thread here is the one I was thinking of.
Steps

Back