What's in Compos box???

A really good "exposure" occurred in the library......our trio had just caught Mr.Wainright touching Miss Moody's leg....she flees with embarrassment to an aisle.....Compo follows her and opens the dreaded matchbox.......she shrieks/screams in horror and drops her books........the gallant Mr.Wairnight springs to her rescue asking..."what was in it ????"......she looks at him......pauses......and makes a very strange noise which is hard to spell...but sounds like....."UUUUUHHHRRRRRHHHHH" !!!!!.
X!

It must be something alive since he's feeding it flowers in Flower Power Cut. My guess was a centipede. Do centipedes over there not bite? We have millipedes with many short straight legs that do not bite, and centipedes which have long bent legs that stick out to the side and can give you a painful sting. I don't think anyone would want to handle one even to play a prank.

Speaking of Flower Power Cut, I always thought that Clegg's "if we play music for the flowers, you may be in for a surprise" routine was a nod to Lionel Barrymore's character in You Can't Take It with You where he's trying to get Jimmy Stewart's father to play harmonica with him.

Absolutely nothing? Wasn't it a mistake that we saw it. But, we aren't meant to know what was inside it, just believe it was something disgustingly frightening.

Yes in one episode Compo opens the box the wrong way round, and you can see there is nothing inside, yet the reaction to the back of the box was just like any other reaction of shock and horror

An odd thing is Clegg acting put off by it when previously he's appeared semi-amused at it, so maybe it does something that's more gross at times?

We have huge wood roaches here in the southern US that get several inches long so my mind first went to something like that for matchbox size that would especially gross out the ladies, but they are swift critters and would scurry if the box was open even a split second especially handled like Compo does.

Tonight’s episode in tv, The Three Astaire’s he shows the vicars wife the inside of his matchbox. She didn’t even flinch really, she must have been made of solid stuff or whatever was inside was yet to be as grim as it turned out to be.

I have say the responses he got to the 'thing' in the matchbox ranged from, horror, disgust or indifference. Makes me wonder whether he varied what he carried in there dependent on the situation ;)

Back