Gentle Comedies

Yes, in the evening slot on WETA-UK, they stopped the later episodes to go to the earlier episodes. Then, after Foggy's 2nd or 3rd season, they jumped to where they left off, Season 29, I think. I believe they played that until the show ended, played a few Christmas specials, and then jumped to Compo's very last episodes. I am giving it a break a bit. I have seen the later eras recently, so I will wait until they go back to the early episodes.
Yep, I'm giving them a break also. Just the thought of watching Tom and Mrs. Avery gives me the heebeegeevees.

Had not seen The Swear Box before, thanks for mentioning that one @Stephen. Just watched it, very funny.

Also, don't think I have seen By the Sea yet either. That looks to be a bit longer. Will need to watch that another time. Thanks for that @wstol.

Re-watched a few Going Straight episodes the other day for a Ronnie Barker fix after seeing the Four Candles skit on the you tube for the umpteenth time. :)
yea was on a ronnie binge last night.. Four candles... just stuff of legends.

Yep, I'm giving them a break also. Just the thought of watching Tom and Mrs. Avery gives me the heebeegeevees.
If you watch WETA-UK, I believe it is currently airing Season 12.

I actually like Tom. It helps that I don't think of him as Compo's replacement attempt, but think of it as a change in the show's direction after Compo's passing. You don't even like the Missing Bus of Mrs. Avery?

Who has watched "Young Hyacinth?" I am assuming it's written by Roy Clarke.

I never hear anything about it but I see it is available on Brit Box. My wife and I will likely order it so we can view KUA (no longer available in Maryland), Hold the Sunset, One Foot in the Grave, Chef, etc.

I was curious as to how good Young Hyacinth is. Never hearing about it might not be a good sign.

Who has watched "Young Hyacinth?" I am assuming it's written by Roy Clarke.

I never hear anything about it but I see it is available on Brit Box. My wife and I will likely order it so we can view KUA (no longer available in Maryland), Hold the Sunset, One Foot in the Grave, Chef, etc.

I was curious as to how good Young Hyacinth is. Never hearing about it might not be a good sign.
I thought it was passable but not outstanding IMO, I'm a massive KUA fan so it was interesting to watch. Yes Roy Clarke did write it, a few years ago they remade AYBS, Porridge & KUA (Young Hyacinth) the other two are worth watching if you're a fan of any. The critics preferred the Porridge remake and it was made into 1 series. Interestingly Patricia Routledge was asked to appear in YH but refused and made some unsavory comments about it, there was allegedly a bit of a spat and RC said something along the lines of Pat was being typical Hyacinth or the like.

I found it quite sweet and it was an interesting prequel. Let us know what you think Confanglers as I'd be interested to see what those the otherside of the pond think of it....

I thought it was passable but not outstanding IMO, I'm a massive KUA fan so it was interesting to watch. Yes Roy Clarke did write it, a few years ago they remade AYBS, Porridge & KUA (Young Hyacinth) the other two are worth watching if you're a fan of any. The critics preferred the Porridge remake and it was made into 1 series. Interestingly Patricia Routledge was asked to appear in YH but refused and made some unsavory comments about it, there was allegedly a bit of a spat and RC said something along the lines of Pat was being typical Hyacinth or the like.

I found it quite sweet and it was an interesting prequel. Let us know what you think Confanglers as I'd be interested to see what those the otherside of the pond think of it....
I recall now some talk about it. Didn't they just make a few episodes? I have to order the streaming service first, so it may be a while until I let you know. :D

I recall now some talk about it. Didn't they just make a few episodes? I have to order the streaming service first, so it may be a while until I let you know. :D
They were all one offs apart from Porridge which ran for a single series. In case you don't want to have to subscribe here it is on my favorite Dailymotion...

I was reading reviews on Still Open All Hours, which I really enjoy. Not surprisingly, it is considered inferior to the original (although I like them equally). However, one comment that a lot of people made was they had a hard time with the narrative that Granville was able to become a shrewd business owner like Arkwright. People considered him too thick in the original to be so clever in the spin-off.

Any thoughts on this? I think it is perfectly believable to become Arkwright-like after so many years of working under him.

Alright, this one isn't a comedy but has a humorous side. WETA UK started airing Hamish Macbeth. Thoughts on this program? I watched an episode for the first time last night. I may take some warming up to.

I must say I have been enjoying my dose of rural UK. There has always been Summer Wine in Yorkshire and Doc Martin in Cornwall. Lately, there has been the Indian Doctor in Wales and now this in Scotland. I really enjoy these settings.

I was reading reviews on Still Open All Hours, which I really enjoy. Not surprisingly, it is considered inferior to the original (although I like them equally). However, one comment that a lot of people made was they had a hard time with the narrative that Granville was able to become a shrewd business owner like Arkwright. People considered him too thick in the original to be so clever in the spin-off.

Any thoughts on this? I think it is perfectly believable to become Arkwright-like after so many years of working under him.
I think they tried to make him to much like Arkwright, Granville would of binned the till at the first chance, even a modern till could have it quirks, he would of had his own transport

Alright, this one isn't a comedy but has a humorous side. WETA UK started airing Hamish Macbeth. Thoughts on this program? I watched an episode for the first time last night. I may take some warming up to.

I must say I have been enjoying my dose of rural UK. There has always been Summer Wine in Yorkshire and Doc Martin in Cornwall. Lately, there has been the Indian Doctor in Wales and now this in Scotland. I really enjoy these settings.
Have you seen Ballykissangle

I think they tried to make him to much like Arkwright, Granville would of binned the till at the first chance, even a modern till could have it quirks, he would of had his own transport
For me, Still Open All Hours has a little bit of the "Summerwine Land" sense of escapism found in LOTSW's later seasons.

Two in Clover, Then Churchill Said To Me, and -- although technically a comedy drama -- Jeeves and Wooster, with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

I like and enjoy Still Open all Hours as well.

Feel that he kept the till from sentimental reasons toward Arkwright. Though he could have gotten a newer one and kept the old till near it. Then the old till would open up whenever they went to use the new till. :D

@codfanglers since you like BallyK have you also seen Monarch of the Glen ?

I started watching them both around the same time. A Father Ted episode where he dreams about Assumpta is what got me to look up and discover BallyK. Glad I did.

### Cautionary note to anyone who has not seen Ballykissangel or Monarch of the Glen and might watch it from 'older' US Netflix DVD's.
Do not watch the extra Making Of docu's on the first discs of series 3 in each of those shows. They contain massive spoilers. Wait till the end of series 3 then go back and watch them. ### You may not want to read further, mini rant about that.

If you have seen the shows then what follows is stuff you already know about.

The American DVD versions rented at the time many years ago thru Netflix of Bally and Monarch both had some very nasty no warning spoilers in the Making Of docu's early in series 3 (first disc, each show as I recall). Why they did not place them at the last disc of the season is beyond me. There you are watching an interview with a behind the scenes production type member when they say something like 'Oh yeah, then this happens to this (major) character.' They specifically mentioned what happened (about to happen) to a certain cast member for that season! Both docu's on both shows did this!!

There I am one or two episodes in and I get to watch the entire rest of the season knowing exactly what was about to happen and to who in both of those shows. They mentioned it happened near the end of that series but I did not know exactly what episode. Nearly put me off both shows, almost stopped watching there and then. The UK versions of the DVD's I bought a few years ago do not include those documentaries.

##possible spoiler sentence to follow##
If you have seen the shows and remember them then you should know what I am talking about - (Richard Briers & Dervla Kirwan). Trying not to drop spoilers for others. Apologies for mini rant there.

Last edited:
Two in Clover, Then Churchill Said To Me, and -- although technically a comedy drama -- Jeeves and Wooster, with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.
That's a very good call Jeeves & Wooster is a belter, the only critism is that Stephen Fry is far too young for the role but he did play it very well.

@codfanglers since you like BallyK have you also seen Monarch of the Glen ?

I never got into it. Although, I never sat down and really tried. This is partially because it is on in the mornings when I am doing other things. Last night, after hearing great reviews, my wife and I sat down and tried Hamish Macbeth. WETA UK is making a big deal about it and playing it at 8PM on Monday. (It took Pie in the Sky's old time slot and they used to really advertise that show a lot as well).

Back