The Shinyglow Van

and7barton

Dedicated Member
Today I noticed what is probably the same awful old yellow van from "Rural Blamire" episode, where the lads become reps for Shinyglow........ in another episode.
Take a look at "Mending Stuart's Leg" - In the initial seconds of the show, during the starting credits, what appears to be the same van is seen approaching the camera !

Today I noticed what is probably the same awful old yellow van from "Rural Blamire" episode, where the lads become reps for Shinyglow........ in another episode.
Take a look at "Mending Stuart's Leg" - In the initial seconds of the show, during the starting credits, what appears to be the same van is seen approaching the camera !

They were old GPO vans most of the time and very common as they were sold in their thousands once Busby had worn them out

They were awful vehicles and a product of our wonderful home grown car industry they all seemed to be Friday vehicles(lets get this heap of rubbish off the line and go home /strike ).They rusted very quickly and didnt last long after BT had run them into the ground,you had to send sealed bids to BT and the highest got you your wonderful vehicle.Frie nd of mine bought a Morris Minor van this way surprisingly it was a pretty good vehicle but it was a product of a time before BMC came into being.

The old vans are certainly not of my expertise, but reading these posts reminds me of the old van used for mobile selling in Open All Hours. Roy Clarke had fun with old beaten up vans in his shows. There was also the broken down van in KUA in (I believe Onslow's daughter's) the Christening episode.

Sid,s mobile fish and chips van was a brilliant vehicle mark you nowadays he would have a hard job getting it past the health board.We have a couple of vans selling chips going round some of the villages near here and they seem to do a good trade.Arkwrights van was a death trap and a typical buying jaunt by him.

Isn't the make and model of the van a Commer FC? I presume FC stands for Forward Control, where the driver sits above the engine. I haven't seen one since I was a kid in the 1980's.

Isn't the make and model of the van a Commer FC? I presume FC stands for Forward Control, where the driver sits above the engine. I haven't seen one since I was a kid in the 1980's.
Thanks for all the insight into the vehicles used in the series, I've always thought the ShinyGlow van always looked unique but I vaguely recall @maltrab saying he used to drive one in a previous job. Looking forwards to all your postings, and love Blackpool btw try and visit every year!!!

sorry to go off topic but mention of Shinyglow makes me think of Father Ted [again:rolleyes:] sounds like something that Father Jack would drink alongside the infamous Dreamy Sleepy Nightie Snoozy Snooze.

drink.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-18 at 15.21.24.png
Here's that very van, it even looks comical if a van can look funny!? On that subject I'm guessing the house where they stop is the same one as Mrs Partridges on the Summerwine Map? I did look for a reference but could only find Mrs P's house on there and nothing about this episode.....

I'd kill (okay, maybe a tad over the top) for a decent scale model of both the Shinyglow van and Sid's chip van. Preferably accompanied with a decent set of figures: Compo, Clegg and Blamire holding bottles of Shinyglow. The trio, plus Sam, for Sid's van. Maybe even with a bonus Foggy in coffin. Lol

I used to drive a Commer FC in my GPO days, they were horrible to drive, but the Shinyglow van was not a Commer, it was an Austin A152 van.
Was it the Commer Van that had the body overlapping the wheels so they would topple over if you took a corner too fast?

View attachment 5052
Here's that very van, it even looks comical if a van can look funny!? On that subject I'm guessing the house where they stop is the same one as Mrs Partridges on the Summerwine Map? I did look for a reference but could only find Mrs P's house on there and nothing about this episode.....
Yes it is in the same area

If you notice most vehicles used in the series are normally old bangers, I think Roy Clarke deliberately used them for comedic value. Now I think of it I cannot recall any new or nearly cars being used at all?

Wasnt that a chunk of crap.. LOL!!! but typical Arkright style expecting Granville to put up with it. L

It was an old Ice Cream van . Granville fixes the chimes and one of Arkwright's best customers Pookie runs off scared lead trailing behind and Arkwright left with a plethora of goods the little treasure had picked [with the aid of Arkwright's feather duster] and left behind.

Back