One Off Barmpots!

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Following on from the recent discussion around John Challis I was thinking who my favorite character that played one of the many barmpot characters in a single episode. There's so many amazing actors to choose from. For me it would be Brian Conley's fitness mad character Boothroyd in Enter The Finger, Brian is such a great comedian and it was one of those rare characters to really get up Barrys nose!

Who would be your favorite character that's only made a single appearance?

"Lenny from the pickle factory" was superb in his 3 episodes......
Bobby Ball is a naturally "funny man"....he makes you chuckle just looking at his body language,and mannerisms.
In "get out of that then" I think he was at his maniacal best....spiralling further and further into complete lunacy !!!...ending with a catastrophic "gig"at the pub.
He was excellent when hearing "voices" in a Barnsley accent.......and was his usual funny,daft,silly,stupid [etc...etc..] self when he was on board his mega swan in "the Swan Man of Ilkley".......it was a great "silly" introduction to Lenny......standing up to his waist in the canal...holding an inflatable swan with a hole in it !!!....and just saying......"ow' do lads" as if it was normal behaviour !!!
I thought it was a lovely touch from Roy Clarke to include his "other half" Tommy Cannon in Bobby's appearances.
He really seemed to enjoy being there and being part of something very special.

Eithne !!!....a brilliant addition......he played the part so well.....I sometimes wonder if Roy had a specific actor or actress in mind when he wrote the part.....because.....he never got it wrong many times [I know Billy Ingleton was not everyone's cup of tea...maybe a trifle too much slapstick ????....it was just Norman being.......Norman].
x!

Arnpepper from 'Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe' was quite fun. Also -- and whilst not technically a barmpot -- I really like Chip from 'Pate and Chips'. I really wished they'd filmed the sing-a-long with him near the end of the story.

Back