R1 DVD Vintage Extras

I will keep my eye out for a more reasonably priced R1 Vintage 1985 dvd to get and see if we can confirm the edits you've mentioned AJM.

@Onslow mentioned they are in the process of collecting the Vintage series. Don't suppose you have this one yet do ya?

I will keep my eye out for a more reasonably priced R1 Vintage 1985 dvd to get and see if we can confirm the edits you've mentioned AJM.

@Onslow mentioned they are in the process of collecting the Vintage series. Don't suppose you have this one yet do ya?
I believe some of the repeats on UKTV have used the unedited version. It is only a short scene that goes just before Compo barges into the cafe, but it's great to see the trio kicked out of the cafe by Crusher for being full! It has probably been mentioned before I'm sure.

I can confirm the region 1 Vintage 1985 DVD contains the scene with Crusher in The Loxley Lozenge.

Interesting, thanks AJM. I only have the UK version. Can you explain how the trio get to enter back into the cafe after being thrown out by Crusher when there is space for them at a table with Wesley? Trying to grasp the context.

I did find this on imdb which explains things:
The DVD release and some repeats of this episode saw Jonathan Linsley's brief appearance as "Crusher" Milburn edited out. This was due to the episode being moved forward in broadcast order, meaning it aired before "#8.2: Keeping Britain Tidy", which featured Crusher's introduction. The end credits also had an alternate version which saw Linsley's name removed.

edits

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks AJM. I only have the UK version. Can you explain how the trio get to enter back into the cafe after being thrown out by Crusher when there is space for them at a table with Wesley? Trying to grasp the context.

I did find this on imdb which explains things:
The DVD release and some repeats of this episode saw Jonathan Linsley's brief appearance as "Crusher" Milburn edited out. This was due to the episode being moved forward in broadcast order, meaning it aired before "#8.2: Keeping Britain Tidy", which featured Crusher's introduction. The end credits also had an alternate version which saw Linsley's name removed.

edits

if you watch this video on YouTube, at about 5:30 onwards you can see the full scene. It’s been badly cropped and the soundtrack is at a funny pitch but you will get the idea of the original. its mainly the start of the scene that was cut, but there’s also a bit further on where you hear Crusher shout out from the kitchen after hitting his head that was cut too.

Thanks PKD, don't know why it failed to occur to me to check the youtube for a copy of it :redface2:. That seems very familiar which is the reason I kept asking about this. I wonder if I rented that disc via Netflix in my early days of watching LotSW here in the States before getting the UK box set.

Not sure if anyone else has ever noticed this but the region 1 DVD seems to have Bicycle Bonanza in widescreen where as region 2 DVD is full screen. Titles are different too.
Region 1 DVD:
Region 1 Widescreen.png
Region 2 DVD:
Region 2 Full Screen.png

A Leg Up for Christmas also found on the same DVD is still only in full screen same as region 2 DVD.

I wonder if Nowhere Particular is in widescreen on the region 1 DVD. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Interesting there, AJM. I'm in R1 land but my series collection DVD's are all R2 except for maybe 3 of the Vintage DVD's published here with Christmas specials and extra's on them. For shows I really like I tend to prefer them in their original format as opposed to format conversion between PAL / NTSC. So I cannot help out with normal series episodes since I also no longer have my Netflix DVD service to request R1 dvds to compare. A service I used to watch LotSW discs before buying my own copies. Otherwise I would be happy to share picture comparisions between the two if I could.

Is that the same moment in time for each of the pictures you posted? Because in the R1 the upper part of the picture is cropped and the rest zoomed in. If so then I wonder if it has been made into a 'fake 16x9' through some 'pan and scan' decision made by whoever converted them to NTSC. A practice sometimes used to convert 16x9 movies to 4x3 full frame of the older TV size. Why they might try it in the other direction is beyond me. Interesting that the text was changed as well. Are you able to compare other moments in time between these episodes?

I believe you are in R2 land so am curious as to why you would mess about with imported R1 dvd's of a show you have access to in your native R2 in it's original format. Not criticizing in any way, just curious since I feel your native copy to be superior to what would be more commonly available to me. :)

That's very interesting, but I don't see any reason as to why they would need, or want, to change titles of any episode for different DVD regions. I would imagine that, in the 1990s when these episodes were new, they were originally filmed in 4:3 format. Am I right?

Just had a thought... so I Googled "when did LotSW go widescreen 16:9 ". They are saying that series 20, first episode The Pony Set is the first one to be made in 16:9.

So that means that -
- A Leg Up for Christmas - season 17, 1995
- Nowhere Particular - s19, 1998
and
-Bicycle Bonanza s17, 1995 were all pre- widescreen.

So, not sure why the copy you have AJM is as it is.

Last edited:
Is any of the music in the episode different too AJM? Some DVDs do say that music may differ from the original versions, particularly in different countries due to copyrights.

For some reason, the three episodes listed above are all in 4:3 here in region 2 despite every other episode being in 16:9 from series 16 onwards. As I understand, the show started to be made in 16:9 when it changed to being entirely shot on film (series 14 onwards). The show being shot on film allowed it to be presented in widescreen (I believe Alan Bell states this in his book). I don't believe it is the case of 'pan and scan' as A Leg Up for Christmas is still only in 4:3.

The screenshots I provided above are from the same point in the episode. Will look at providing some other moments to compare later.
Is any of the music in the episode different too AJM? Some DVDs do say that music may differ from the original versions, particularly in different countries due to copyrights.

@imitation700mb As for the music, I don't think there are any differences. Nothing is stated on the back of the R2 DVD. I have never really paid too much attention to differences in the music but could look at comparing the soundtracks.
I believe you are in R2 land so am curious as to why you would mess about with imported R1 dvd's of a show you have access to in your native R2 in it's original format. Not criticizing in any way, just curious since I feel your native copy to be superior to what would be more commonly available to me. :)

I got a copy of the series 17 DVD (vintage 1995) because of the 30 years documentary and the funny side of Christmas short. Noticing the 4:3 episodes on R2 DVDs lead me to check on the R1 DVD just out of curiosity really.

Thank you AJM. I downloaded and will have a look at them in a little bit. Nice pictures, I do appreciate your effort to help to help sort this out. Will look at them more closely tomorrow.

Most strange. Dug out my copy of Vintage 1995 and the DVD's say Stereo 16:9 on them. Like your pictures show the image is better on the full screen originals.

I should have looked at my own (PAL) collection first before taking stock in the Wiki article. Series 16 - 1995 is where the 16:9 began with Glory Hole, first episode. Yet only Bicycle Bonanza and Leg Up of series 17 as you say were not. My apologies on the miss info.

*Seems I am not able to delete my earlier post or add a modifier to say the Wiki was wrong.

Reactions: AJM
Back