Cast That Had The 'Yourksheer' Accent

nothing wrong with dick van dyke as an actor, seen him in many films but his english accent in films ruins them for me...as for the yorkshire accent being kind of cute i dont think many yorkshire people would appreciate it being described as such.

Dick Van Dyke was dreadful, but I think the reasons for most American actors being brought in to play British parts was the fault of the producers who were scared that films would not sell in America as the public did not know the names of many Brits. I think things are different now, as this forum tells us.

As I am from Across the Pond, does everyone agree that other than the accent, did Dick Van Dyke do (or not) do a good job?

I like Dick Van Dyke a lot and yes he was fine in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but he would have done better to have used his own'voice'.

In respect of "Mary Poppins", Dick Van Dyke was fine except for that accent. It occurred to me that a brilliant possibility for that part would have been someone recently highly rated here, Tommy Steele. Starts off with the advantage of actually being a Londoner - not sure if Bermondsey is within the sound of Bow Bells to make him a Cockney.

And I cannot say I noticed Dick Van Dyke's accent in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but he was not trying to come up with a specific regional variant. Did quite enjoy that though show was stolen by Lionel Jeffries. (I note for all his contribution, he never got awarded any honour).

Dick Van Dyke was dreadful, but I think the reasons for most American actors being brought in to play British parts was the fault of the producers who were scared that films would not sell in America as the public did not know the names of many Brits. I think things are different now, as this forum tells us.

Yes, quite right and things have improved. I note the international flavour of the cast of "Les Miserables" (though I still have grave reservations about Russell Crowe as Javert).

Yorkshire accent cute? Never thought of it like that. Scouse accent varies between totally unintelligible(Claire Sweeney) and incredibly sexy!(John Lennon)

Also the Geordie accent. The younger members of my family in the north are much easier to understand. If you remember Aufwedersehen Pet, the difference between Neville and Oz had to be heard to be believed. Oz needed an interpreter.

Back to the subject of the attempted accents by some of the US stars. This is Top Sign #8 That You're Being Stalked By A Leprechaun:

Prank caller has a really corny Irish accent, and Richard Gere has an airtight alibi.

I remember that film Unc but the title escapes me at the moment,his accent was rubbish! It wasn't Bruce Willis remake of The Day of the Jackal was it??

I remember that film Unc but the title escapes me at the moment,his accent was rubbish! It wasn't Bruce Willis remake of The Day of the Jackal was it??

You could be right. I had no idea so Googled. Came up with the Top 5 worst Irish accents in films according to Metro:

5. Darby O’Gill and the Little People – Michael McBride ( Sean Connery )
4. The Devil’s Own – Frankie McGuire/Rory Devaney ( Brad Pitt )
3. The Jackal – Declan Mulqueen ( Richard Gere )
2. PS I Love You – Gerry (Gerard Butler)
1. Blown Away – Ryan Gaerity (Tommy Lee Jones)

So, if "The Jackal" was the remake you mention, you got it.

The Sean Connery reference amused me. Mind, I am not impressed with his Scottish accent. I just do not rate him as an actor - dread to think of him on the stage.

Interesting point is that Richard Gere is of Anglo-Irish descent just like me. Horrible term. Mind, I cannot manage an Irish accent either, just some dialect.

you mentioned bruce willis dick, had to respond to that...i havnt got the time of day for the man.....plays all these hero characters, i dont expect him to be anything like that of course in real life, but when 9/11 happened he cancelled his visit to the uk because, i am led to believe he was frightened...if that is true then what an absolute wimp, what an ambassador for his country.

Had forgotten about that my friend , mind you it could have been his agent protecting his investment ;) ;)

I was going to post on this subject myself, glad I checked to see if there was an old thread!

I feel Compo had the best Yorkshire accent, which was amazing considering he was a cockney! Also Howards was really good again he is a Scot which makes this more remarkable.

People have commented on Billy Hardcastle, but I think he is Yorkshireman and if you're from the north it's much easier to impersonate an accent. If you watch the earlier episodes Barry's accent wasn't the best in early episodes.

But one of the worst IMO was Clegg, who often drifted into a southern well spoken accent. Not sure if anyone agrees with the above?

Ey up, get thi sen ter Yorksher weer tharl soon get 'ang o' lingo an ow it shud be talked.

'I say sir, may I trouble you for directions to Holmfirth?'
'Ar, just foller rooad ter bottom o' 'ill. Tha carn't miss it'.:29:

Listened avidly to I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue and in the round about words with new meaning when they were stuck they would use a word beginning with "T" and claim it was a Yorkshire word for something , for example T'reachery - Yorkshire condition of being sick after too much to drink.

There is one expression used several times used during the series and that is, 'I should think so'.
That, in Yorkshire, is said with downward drawl. I have only heard it spoken once like that in SW. The other times it was used it seem to finish with a lilt, making the word 'so' higher pitched.

A Yorkshire joke I heard seventy odd years ago was about a new schoolboy who was sent out of class and told to put his bag of sweets in the bin. Outside in the school yard he was looking for the bin when he saw another boy and politely asked him,
"Excuse me, where's the bin?", to which the other boy replied,
"Arv bin for a pee, weers thar bin?" o_O

Does tha know I found that when asked if I was from Yorkshire I would tend to accentuate it more. A couple of cruises ago we got pally with Roy from Rotherham who was 83 and after a few he was really broad. As a group we got talking most nights to some American blokes from Arizona. They couldn't understand Roy when he told his yarns and jokes. They would look across to me and I would have to translate it to them. They said they could not understand him at all when he was roaming on and could only just understand me. However they had so much fun with us they actually brought their wives to this particular bar on the last night to meet us.

I'm trying to recall, did Norman Wisdom attempt to do a Yorkshire accent, if he did it certainly wasn't strong?

Back