School and language. Major moan.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Recently there has been a ban on certain words and the language in which we are allowed to converse. I too have a big disliking for the King's {OOPS, Queens' English.} When I was little, I had to carry a mask but not like today's masks, in those days the masks were quite cumbersome and had to be carried in a box which hung around the neck and had to be put on during air raids. In those days the coin of the realm was in pounds, shillings and pence. Measurements were in yards, feet and inches. Larger measurements were in miles. Liquid measurements were in pints and gallons and weight was in pounds and ounces. Temperature was given in degrees Fahrenheit. Eventually, we went into Europe and things began to change. We still have pounds and pence but the shilling has gone, along with the tanner, the three-penny bit, the two bob and my favourite the half crown. We now measure in millimetres, centimetres, metres and anything associated with tenths. Millimetres and litres have taken over from pints and gallons and my most hatred change is that Fahrenheit has now been booted out for centipede. I am old and my poor old KNACKERED brain, I use that word purposefully in order to express my resentment to the people who want to carry on making changes. What was the point in me going to school? A lot of what I was taught has gone. I try to come to terms with the changes but my poor old brain has long since given up the ghost trying to make the mental changes when looking at what it has been confronted with. Knickers to the people who want us to keep making changes. I do remember market traders in Sheffield being fined for displaying their goods in the old wartime measurements and lingo. Cobblers, yes, COBBLERS I say to the people who want to change the way we speak. Ahm a Yorksheer man and nobdy's gonna change the way I talk. 'av a nice day you lot. Si thi. ;)

NAH THEN PERI !My antecedents are Yorksheer . Am fed up with tryin to keep up wi't changes.Why dint they leave well alone ! My daughter worked through the Pandemic with front liners kids and was more or less ok. Now the rest are back its causin chaos ! :02:

I took all of the standard math and science classes in high school and college and yet the metric system was NEVER addressed. Yes, an eighth grade test sort of physics class that strangely involved using beads as a measurement on a scale, but no metric system education. My first introduction to the metric system was that soda is sold in 2 liter bottles and bottled water is sometimes sold in one liter bottles.

Back