Possible Idea relate to the "What to watch" thread

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
After posting my last re watching YouTube travel videos I had a glimmer of an idea.

I don’t know if anyone would be interested, or can make suggestions on how to work it, but I thought I would throw the idea out there and see if floats or vanishes without trace.

This site has members from all over the world and everyone knows your own “backyard” is boring because it is what you grew up with and experience every day. (I don’t literally mean your own personal yard, just the area/country where you live)

However it may not be boring to others!

This site already has a photo gallery on it for members to post pictures and I am not suggesting it could accommodate space for videos, however there must be a way of members sharing video footage of their own local area and customs to interested people on this forum.

I know it can be done through things like You Tube channels etc. and I am not necessarily against this idea but being an old fogey I don’t necessarily have the nounce to set something like that up.

Another idea is direct mailing of homemade DVDs, but that may not be suitable for some members who don’t necessarily want their home addresses bandied about. Perhaps something like a trusted central mailing hub where stuff can be sent and that ONE place then forwards it onward. This could have its drawbacks too (mailing costs for one, especially at the hub)

SO…..my idea would be that people would video their own vision of their “neighborhood”, with or without commentary and they don’t actually have to appear themselves. Things such as 1st person view of driving around their area, maybe even walking around some areas. Even doing a bit of general filming when shopping for example, to give others a taste of how different countries look and feel.

It doesn’t have to be a grand production. Most people these days have at least one video camera... on their phone. Dash cameras are also fairly common these days and the ubiquitous GoPro type cameras are also quite popular.

It may even be possible to do “requests” for popular areas (HINT: Holmfirth etc)

Anyhow

• Does this basic idea have any merit?
  • Does it have any interest?
  • Would it be used?
  • What suggestions on how to implement it, should it be popular?

Brian.

It does have merit Brian and a good idea, it is simple to set up a youtube account, just using your email address, then you can upload video's and the link YT provides for that video can be shared in a post

Interesting idea Brian. I see that your name is an anagram of brain. I too am an old fogey and my name is an anagram that reflects my years, Peri......ripe. To be honest, over ripe. I think your idea is a good one and is a similar idea to one I had last year that includes the use of a Web site that I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention. Friends can view my videos by invite. I like the idea of being able to visit other members gardens by means of accessibility through the SW site.:)

Interesting, maybe a community youtube channel type thing amongst us. I thought you were gonna suggest the members post some small clips of their vids or such of trips they made to Holmfirth to share with us.

Interesting, maybe a community youtube channel type thing amongst us. I thought you were gonna suggest the members post some small clips of their vids or such of trips they made to Holmfirth to share with us.
I am going to post some filming clips soon, a little hectic here, maybe after weekend

Back