What is Your favourite

How about the time we see the policeman come up to Sid's chip van in Getting Sam Home. This was the first time Ken Kitson played a policeman in the show, although he didn't have a character name at the time. It would be 25 years later when he eventually got the name "PC Cooper" in A Short Introduction to Cooper's Rules, which I believe was series 29 in 2008.

Also John Cleese and some turnips ?? :08:
I could never understand why they were carting round clean turnips? It's not like they were wild turnips they were too clean so they must have brought them with them.

One of my favorite scenes is when the trio is carrying the children after visiting the stately home. It is a joyful and lighthearted moment.

Some great scenes listed already, folks. :)

Wasn't there a scene where the guys have been drinking and climb up some lamp posts? Vaguely recall seeing a guest (the reason they were celebrating?) up a lamp post and possibly Wally up another all singing and merry with Nora shouting up at Wally.

oh, can't forget the scene with Santa walking across the roof tops and Marina there beside a chimney.

Last edited:
Some great scenes listed already, folks. :)

Wasn't there a scene where the guys have been drinking and climb up some lamp posts? Vaguely recall seeing a guest (the reason they were celebrating?) up a lamp post and possibly Wally up another all singing and merry with Nora shouting up at Wally.

oh, can't forget the scene with Santa walking across the roof tops and Marina there beside a chimney.
Yes that was Whoops.
Second one was A Leg Up for Christmas

I'm going for the obscure one, and say There Goes the Groom.

At the very beginning Compo is getting ready to go out for the night, and is saying goodnight to his ferret. Clegg calls, and as they slam the front door shut it collapses. Brilliant little scene.

Then we get a good night shot of the main route through Holmfirth at night as the opening credits roll. Stunning view.

A very similar view of Holmfirth was used at the end of Who's That Dancing with Nora Batty?, also at night.

One thing to note is that when the script called for a night scene, this scene was filmed at night. On Perry Mason, they often filmed night scenes at high noon (to eliminate shadows). You're supposed to know that it is night because they turn the headlights on, feature nighttime insect and frog noises, and then when they do an indoor scene it is "dark outside."

I'm fairly sure some of the more recent night scenes of LOTSW were actually filmed in daylight hours, I'm sure someone can advise here.

Back