Santa

Did you have a chance to visit Betrix Potter's home, Hill Top Farm in Near Sawrey on B5285?
No, the 3-day tour was "Ruskin, Ransome and the Romantics in the Lakes District" and afterward when I had some time on my own in Windermere, Hill Top was open only on the weekends when I couldn't get there. Maybe next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Whereas I am normally against the exploitation of Christmas for commercial gain [Coca Cola et al] I have to support NYMR who are running their Santa Specials at the moment . The volunteers work all year around to keep this heritage railway running and they deserve some good cheer from what they manage to accrue from these trips , plus a ride on a steam train with food and gifts makes Coca Cola's offer of a 150 ml can of coke festive or otherwise seem really poor. Here's a quick snap of the train about to depart today.

xmas special.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mention Santa to me
This weekend in Lincoln queued for 1 hour, the cost was £8 to sit on Santa's knee for less than a minute and a 30p plastic toy, I am so pleased I did not take the children ;)

Whereas I am normally against the exploitation of Christmas for commercial gain [Coca Cola et al] I have to support NYMR who are running their Santa Specials at the moment . The volunteers work all year around to keep this heritage railway running and they deserve some good cheer from what they manage to accrue from these trips , plus a ride on a steam train with food and gifts makes Coca Cola's offer of a 150 ml can of coke festive or otherwise seem really poor. Here's a quick snap of the train about to depart today.

View attachment 3101

I believe all the heritage railways run a Santa special service, some better than others, it can be a good revenue earner for them
For 10 years I was a guard on a short heritage line in Northamptonshire, I used to enjoy the Christmas periods followed by the New Year day mince pie specials, nothing better than a crisp winters day with steam,a cuppa and a mince pie

Back