Gentle Comedies

Thanks for the recommendations of I Didn't Know You Cared and Only When I Laugh. Started watching them and liking it. Will try the others when I get a chance.

I'm currently embarking upon the entire series of Fresh Fields, seems very gentle to me can anyone recommend it ?

There doesn't seem a whole lot happening in it and I'm struggling to work out the premise but it seems amusing in parts

Thank you Captain, ironically Terry & June is the other series I'm considering too, I may give that a try

I have seen Fresh Fields and will definitely watch it again if I get the chance. Good relaxing humour. Terry and June is a must.

If my memory serves me correctly, the location is in Swinton. Mort's pub was on the corner of Dunn Street and Bridge Street by the canal bridge. The pub was originally called "The Bridge". Alas all demolished, including the surrounding buildings. There's gates across the path now, and an additional flimsy bridge next to the road bridge, which leads to a "Timber yard". The pub and buildings are still present on the GoogleEarth aerial view, but on Streetview, they have been demolished and the site landscaped a bit. I'm pretty sure this was also the site of at least one LOTSW scene. I don't recall the episode or episodes. I'll leave that for your detective skills to solve, but I think they were pretty early episodes.

Last edited:
Clarence with Ronnie Barker has already been mentioned.

Roy Clarke's The Magnificent Evans with Ronnie Barker is also very mellow and worth a look.

If my memory serves me correctly, the location is in Swinton. Mort's pub was on the corner of Dunn Street and Bridge Street by the canal bridge. The pub was originally called "The Bridge". Alas all demolished, including the surrounding buildings. There's gates across the path now, and an additional flimsy bridge nearby, to a "Timber yard". The pub and buildings are still present on the GoogleEarth aerial view, but on Streetview, they have been demolished and the site landscaped a bit. I'm pretty sure this was also the site of at least one LOTSW scene. I don't recall the episode or episodes. I'll leave that for your detective skills to solve, but I think they were pretty early episodes.

Very interesting information, thank you and7barton.
And great pics, Captain! Is anyone able to make the connection with LOTSW?

Very interesting information, thank you and7barton.
And great pics, Captain! Is anyone able to make the connection with LOTSW?
Should we not get an episode identification (for the LOTSW episode), Then I'll attempt to find it. I have all the episodes. Finding the "Didn't Know You Cared" episodes would be unnecessary, because that location featured on almost every episode !

I really enjoyed the Gnomes of Dulwich when I was younger Terry Scott and Hugh Lloyd only ever one series written by the great Jimmy Perry but perhaps my memory is playing tricks one series smacks of it not being good enough for more series but I do know that Terry Scott and Hugh Lloyd had a big falling out and refused to work with each other at some point.

Thanks Captain for another great suggestion, in fairness the quality of the show doesn't always guarantee subsequent episodes. Interestingly the BBC only thought Fawlty Towers was worthy of a BBC2 placement and wouldn't make it on prime time TV

There was a very gentle comedy/drama shown on BBC when I was at school . Its on DVD and I have put it in my Amazon basket half a dozen times and then deleted it because I am not sure how it would of stood the test of time . It is Clochmerle , I think I will just take a punt on it anyway Xmas box to myself.

Thank you Captain, I'll put that too on my list.

I've watched the latest SOAH and whilst it's not perfect, I think Roy Clarke not at his best is much better than most other writers at their best!

Back