What's your favourite episode?

If you move the time period back to between WWI and WWII, women were not expected to work (upon getting married), and there were probably one or more wives who were quietly (or not so quietly) anxious about their husband when he was slightly late or otherwise absent -- since they knew that if the marriage fell apart they would be up the creek without a paddle. So I'm sure that the public hand wringing occurred.

Whilst I enjoy the episode it isn't my favourite but wanted to check if anyone else noticed the gag in Happy Birthday Robin Hood .I have to say I have seen the episode several times but never spotted it until today . When Truly , Billy and Howard go to Aunties to return the "Adventure Kit" I spotted that the Gorilla from " The Man who invented Yorkshire Funny Stuff " in one corner of the Shop with a for sale one careful owner sign around its neck .

I wonder if the gag came from the pen of Roy Clarke or its one of the prop people just having a laugh [ of course the episode features one of Ronnie Hazelhurst's incidental music gags. When Billy and Howard carry the box out of the shop he plays a bit of Right said Fred by Bernard Cribbins which is just brilliant]

Whilst I enjoy the episode it isn't my favourite but wanted to check if anyone else noticed the gag in Happy Birthday Robin Hood .I have to say I have seen the episode several times but never spotted it until today . When Truly , Billy and Howard go to Aunties to return the "Adventure Kit" I spotted that the Gorilla from " The Man who invented Yorkshire Funny Stuff " in one corner of the Shop with a for sale one careful owner sign around its neck .

I wonder if the gag came from the pen of Roy Clarke or its one of the prop people just having a laugh [ of course the episode features one of Ronnie Hazelhurst's incidental music gags. When Billy and Howard carry the box out of the shop he plays a bit of Right said Fred by Bernard Cribbins which is just brilliant]

Seen and noted Captain! Wonder if we can spot anymore??:confused:

I can't pick a favourite because as I said previously I keep changing my mind. But I've started to realise that a long running series like LOTSW provides younger people with a view on how we lived here 40 years ago and a reminder to older people of how things were. It's like a social commentary on how Britain has changed. An example came to me this week watching an early episode on Drama. The cafe looks so 'basic' like many were and there's a machine on the wall selling something I can't quite make out. But it reminded me of the chewing gum and cigarette machines you'd often find in cafes.
That's just a small example. I'm sure there's 100s if we look carefully. Sid's fish and chip van is another example. We had one around here. Anybody else think of more?

Tough question!
I love 'Getting Sam Home' so probably that. I think the Scarborough two-parter, 'The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty' and 'The Changing Face of Rural Blamire' are right up there as well.

I can't pick a favourite because as I said previously I keep changing my mind. But I've started to realise that a long running series like LOTSW provides younger people with a view on how we lived here 40 years ago and a reminder to older people of how things were. It's like a social commentary on how Britain has changed. An example came to me this week watching an early episode on Drama. The cafe looks so 'basic' like many were and there's a machine on the wall selling something I can't quite make out. But it reminded me of the chewing gum and cigarette machines you'd often find in cafes.
That's just a small example. I'm sure there's 100s if we look carefully. Sid's fish and chip van is another example. We had one around here. Anybody else think of more?
It is a Beech Nut Gum dispenser.

More than a year later, I found this post. Hope it's not too late to chime in.

It's too difficult to pick just one episode, but the ones that are the most memorable for me are the trilogy honoring Compo's passing: Elegy For Fallen Wellies, Surprise at Throstlenest, and Just a Small Funeral. Those three shows were filled with bittersweet, humorous touches. The cars, accompanied by Marina on her bicycle, traveling up the road to see the living "See ya Compo" sign, brought me close to tears; Nora talking about the smile on Compo's face, Barry giving the middle finger (an obscene gesture) to the bike rider, and Reggie Unsworth bringing up the rear of the funeral procession on her tractor, were laugh out loud funny. There was such a blend of emotion in those three episodes, and they made for a great tribute to Bill Owen.

I think, all things considered that mine is Serenade for tight jeans and metal detector. It has the greatest threesome plus every member of the greatest support cast all in a great scene in the Café, which was always the greatest location.

It's hard just to pick just one but I really like the episode Full Steam Behind cos it was Peter Sallis's favourite episode and also, it was filmed on the same railway line as the 1970 film, The Railway Children

It's hard just to pick just one but I really like the episode Full Steam Behind cos it was Peter Sallis's favourite episode and also, it was filmed on the same railway line as the 1970 film, The Railway Children

Given Compo's questioning of Foggy's "credentials" as a fighting man and his reference to him being a Tulip or a little flower could it be construed that Compo could have shouted at Foggy to remove his petticoat to stop the train as Sally Thomsett and Jenny Agutter did in the Railway Children?

My favorite is "Dried Dates and Codfanglers" from the Seymour era but in the Blamire series, it has to be "Hail smiling morn or thereabouts", the part where they come out of the barn in the morning and the flute music is playing always gets to me for some reason, it only plays for a few seconds but it gets me every time.
Some members don't seem to like "A quiet drink" but i think it's ok, possible because i've been in that situation a few times over the years myself, although instead of Tina driving mouse's car when drunk, with me it was a tiddly girl that fancied sitting my mates motorcycle, it fell over and knocked four others beside it over like dominoes.
Worse one is "Northern flying circus", ironic seeing as i'm a biker but i find Compo just over does it a bit too much, shame as it's the last time we see Blamire.

Getting Sam Home is brilliant, my all time favourite. I love the Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty and 3 Men and Mangle too.

Ida Know, like others I have a problem picking a favorite out of all those shows. It would probably be one of the really early episodes because I like the prehypertimid Clegg a lot better. "The New Mobile Trio" with Clegg chasing the kid off the driving simulator and a gestapo agent shady businessman trying to teach his dog to ride a bicycle. Or maybe as someone else pointed out "Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts" with all the no dialog wandering and picture snapping. Those older ones really fit the second childhood thing with all the wandering (especially the abandoned places).

Back